PDA

View Full Version : D-Mannose vs. Antibiotics

Britcat
07-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Just a quick question....

Can you try D-Mannose when on a low-dose antibiotic therapy? I have heard good things about this but i'm currently on 100mg of Trimethoprim (UK bx) per day and don't want to rock the boat!

ICNDonna
07-14-2006, 12:08 AM
I would ask my physician before combining the two.

Donna

Katrina
07-14-2006, 05:32 AM
I think you should always tell your physician about all alternatives and medicaitons as well as therapies you are using or thinking about trying. That being said I can't think of a reason why it would be bad to take D-Mannose at the same time you are taking an antibiotic. :grouphug:

sami4
07-14-2006, 06:54 AM
I have used D-Mannose for years with good results, but I would probably not use it at the same time I was on an antibiotic. Mannose coats the bladder and is somewhat slippery which is why it can dislodge E Coli.
I think is prudent not to mix the antibiotic with Mannose. If my Bayer dip stick looks iffy or positive for bacteria, I would start Mannose and continue to test myself every day. If my dip stick did not show clear by the third day I would call a physician and make an appointment and have a culture. That is the way I use Mannose.
I love alternative medicine, read obsessively on it, BUT, dont consider it a philosophy or a religion just a tool. Use what works, if it dont work, use something else.
Sammie

ICLori
07-14-2006, 07:02 AM
D-mannose works in an interesting way - it doesn't actually coat the bladder, it instead floats around in the urine and the e coli which are attached to the bladder, grab onto it instead and get urinated out. The d-mannose attaches to the fimbrae of e coli.

My doctor gave me thumbs up to use d-mannose, and it helped me for awhile, but didn't completely make the IC symptoms go away, so I stopped using it because it was wickedly expensive (for me.)

Blessings,
Lori

sami4
07-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Lori, good technical explanation on Mannose. The lectins on the Coli attach to the sugar and get dislodged and now there is some research that it may also work with Klebesilla.
Sammie

MamaZ
08-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Lori, good technical explanation on Mannose. The lectins on the Coli attach to the sugar and get dislodged and now there is some research that it may also work with Klebesilla.
Sammie
Wow, that's really interesting. I have a history of both ecoli and klebsiella but was told it only prevented the former from adhering. I've been using mannose prophalactically (sp?) and have not had the overwhelming success many have had. I have quite a bit and will keep trying...

Angeles
08-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I started D mannose a month ago to prevent UTIs. I didn't know it could actually help IC symptoms....Will see.

I take 3 capsules a day. When I mentioned D mannose to my urologist a while ago, she didn't know what I was talking about. So that doesn't help much.

If D mannose adheres to the bladder wall and makes it slippery...would it prevent Elmiron to adhere to bladder wall.???..Just wondering.
Anyone there taking D mannose and Elmiron?

ICLori
08-19-2006, 01:18 PM
SMR, D-mannose does NOT adhere to the bladder walls. It adheres instead to the fimbrae (arms) of e-coli and I think some other bacteria, can't remember which ones now.

The way infections take place in the bladder, is, the fimbrae of the e-coli bind with the small, poor amounts of d-mannose present in the bladder wall itself (Yes, d-mannose is actually IN our bodies naturally). When you take d-mannose, your urine is rich with potent sources of the d-mannose that the e- coli like to cling to. So they cling to the better source of d-mannose - the urine - and are washed harmlessly away.

Anyway, d-mannose does not interfere in any way with Elmiron, that I'm aware of. And it does NOT attach to the bladder wall in any way. It attaches instead to bacteria, and both the d-mannose (with the attached bacteria) exit the body each time you urinate. Hope that helps to explain how d-mannose works.

Blessings,
Lori

Angeles
08-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Great explanation Lori. Thank you!!! I really hope you get better and better with your current treatment.
Blessing to you too.