PDA

View Full Version : cymbalta was helping

janee
05-31-2006, 09:02 AM
I've been taking 30 mg of cymbalta for 6 weeks. It really was helping my pain and frequency, however I have severe constipation with it. I have tried a lot of the remedies posted on these boards, lots of fiber, water, exercise, but nothing is working. The dr.told me to take stool softeners. I started taking a cheap version of Colace and now my bladder has started hurting, so the Colace must have irritated my bladder. I don't know what to do.
I don't want to have to go off of cymbalta because it is the only thing I have found that works. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

armslee
05-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Are you sure that it is the Cymbalta causing this problem? Are you taking any OAB meds or anything else?

I never had that problem on Cymbalta. It wasn't until I started taking all the IC drugs!!

janee
05-31-2006, 09:19 AM
No, it is definitely the cymbalta. The severe constipation happened after I started taking cymbalta. The only other meds I take are 75 mg. of trazodone and 10 mg. of atarax for sleep.

Meemer
06-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I have been taking cymbalta as well and I am experiencing the same problem with constipation. It is one of the side effects, unfortunately.

I take WalMart's brand of Senokot to relieve my constipation. If one pill doesn't work within 24 hours, I take two at a time. I wait another 24 hours and take three at a time if I haven't gone. If that doesn't work, I'll take 4, then 5 at once. Usually, I've found that I need to take five at once to get any action when I'm constipated, but I would advise you to take less and build up to it if you've never tried dealing with your constipation with these pills. Your system may be more sensitive than mine.

The senna tablets are natural and do not contain stimulants that can cause painful stomach cramps. The WalMart brand is much cheaper, so give it a try if you haven't already done so. It works for me.>Meemer

janee
06-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm thinking of stopping cymbalta because my bladder pain and frequency have come back, and the cymbalta is causing severe constipation, urinary retention and weight gain. For about 4 weeks the bladder pain and frequency were so much better, but now I'm back to square one.

kadi
06-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Are you taking a generic Colace or the regular Colace? Also, are you taking PeriColace (which contains stimulants which can trigger IC) or plain Colace?

I have not had trouble with the name brand regular Colace. I take it with food, 2 meals a day, which helps... I notice a difference if I even skip one dose.

Hoping you find something that works.

BigFig
06-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm thinking of stopping cymbalta because my bladder pain and frequency have come back, and the cymbalta is causing severe constipation, urinary retention and weight gain. For about 4 weeks the bladder pain and frequency were so much better, but now I'm back to square one.

Hi Janee, I am also on Cymbalta but have been taking it for about 3 1/2 months. My doctor increased the 30mg to 60mg after only a couple of weeks. I felt pretty good on the 30mg, but haven't felt as good on the 60mg. I was really hoping this was going to be my "miracle" medication, but not so. As a matter of fact when I was in to see my GP a couple of weeks ago, we talked about me weaning off of it, like I told her "if it was working I would continue to take it, but it is not and I have put on weight (which I hate, but wouldn't mind if it helped) and sometimes feel depressed and the constipation is unbearable, so why continue taking it?". Since I already have a three month supply, and I am getting ready to go on a two week trip, we decided to wait at least until I get back. I have tried everything under the sun for the constipation, of course I am taking other meds as well that are probably making the condition worse. I know it's sick to say, but bring on the diarrhea!

I am sorry the Cymbalta didn't work for you either and I find it interesting that your doctor never increase your dosage. Do you know why that is, or did you think the 30mg would be enough? I strangely felt better on the 30 than I did the 60mg. Also, I didn't see Elmiron on your list of meds, are you taking it or have you tried it? I tried it early on in my diagnosis, but had a allergic reaction to it so I had to stop.

I hope you find some relief soon!

janee
06-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Thanks for your replies! The doctor wanted me to take 60 mg., but I decided not to go up to 60 because of the side effects I'm having on 30 mg. The cymbalta did actually work for me for about 4 weeks and I, too, thought I had found a "miracle drug", but sadly that came to an abrupt halt. I've had IC and depression since I was a teenager and am now 49, so I've been looking for a long time.

I was on and off Elmiron for about 1 1/2 years. I would stay on about 5 months at a time and then would quit because of constipation, bloating, weight gain and the fact that it didn't help that much. It may have helped a little with pain.

I think I'm going off of cymbalta and will go back on prozac and elmiron. The prozac helps a little bit with depression and the elmiron may help a little bit with the pain, but it is not a very good situation.

I'm going to look into taking cytotek, ultram, and some of the tricyclic anti-depressants.

I hope you find something soon that will help you, too.

gpooh88
06-07-2006, 05:43 PM
I have been on the Cymbalta 60mg for about 4 1/2 months now.Everyone and everything that I read about it said it should cause weight loss,but I have gained weight on it ,too.Glad to hear from someone else who has had that happen to them.Constipation has not been a big problem with me,but after a surgery a couple of years ago I have taken Surfak (or the generic docusate calcium) every night.I never miss a dose.it keeps the stool softer.After you get some relieve from the constipation,maybe if you tried the surfak and kept it up regularly.........maybe it might help some.I find that when I get constipated my IC flares more.I have IBS,too and the doctor said that sometime just the intestine laying against the bladder could irritate it. Has anyone else ever been told that? Hope you get some relief soon. I guess I will keep on with the Cymbalta.......my dr seems to believe that it is helping my depression.

janee
06-08-2006, 03:44 AM
Thanks for your advice! I had a mostly negative experience with cymbalta. I was told it makes you sleepy, and you lose weight. I had just the opposite--trouble sleeping (until I increased my Trazodone to 75 mg.), appetite increase, weight gain and severe constipation. It helped my bladder for about 4 weeks and then suddenly my bladder got much worse. I have read that constipation does make IC worse probably since everything is sitting on the bladder. I went off of cymbalta 48 hours ago and my severe constipation has now come to an end.

I have went back on Prozac, which helps me a little bit with depression. I also went back on elmiron which seems to help a little bit after I take it for a long time. I wish I could find something that would really help! I'm afraid to go on elavil because of the weight gain.

violet
06-20-2006, 03:47 PM
meemer, Do you take senokot every day? I just started taking it. I really need it if I take a pain pill, like ultram they really constipation me. I take 3 senna tablets and 3 stool solfeners. That really helps. I take more if I take pain pulls. I am also on cybalta but it doesn't help much. I just started takeing 60 mg about one week ago. How long before it really helps, does anyone know.

blondie45
06-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Not sure if you have tried Elmiron already but if not this may help your constipation. I have been on it for 2-1/2 months and my IBS constipation is almost nonexistent now. It may help in your situation also.

Meemer
06-21-2006, 04:49 AM
No, I do not take the senna pills every day and I don't take stool softeners. If I haven't gone for two days, I then take five senna pills at once with a full glass of water. The only negative side effect of Cymbalta so far for me has been constipation, but it's not as bad as when I took narcotics. They are the worst offenders. Initially, I had problems sleeping, but that's now subsided. It has really helped with my depression, much more so than amitriptyline, but the amitriptyline is better for overall bladder pain, frequency and urgency. I was having terrible problems with tinnitus while on amitriptyline and I'm glad to be able to give it a break. I was on it for six straight years.>Meemer

PS.>For neuropathic pain, the drug company who developed cymbalta recommends taking up to 120 mgs if tolerated well at lower doses. It is also recommended that patients titrate (gradual increase) up slowely. It is also strongly recommended that anyone taking this medication for some time tritrate down slowely, as this is a slow release antidepressant. Some people may experience some side effects upon cessation from cymbalta.

gpooh88
06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
I did not notice that Cymbalta was helping me until I was on it for a good 3 months.The Dr said it would take effect sooner,but with my reactions to medications I was not surprised that it took longer for me than most people.I have noticed that trend here on the message board wiht other IC patients.We all seem to have a more difficult or unusual time with meds.If you can tolerate the Cymblata(which after the first week for me --the side effects went away then) then I would encourage you,Violet to give it a chance.It's not a miracle drug,but I have tried many other anti=depressants and this one does seem to help me.Good Luck!!!!!!!

jen48446
06-23-2006, 08:22 AM
I had the same issue with Wellbutrin. I couldn't take the constipation as I have IBS-C already!!! Maybe there are other meds you could try? I've found that getting back on the birth control pill #1, #2 the supplement that I started taking over a year ago has put me into remission. The birth control pills have elminated my depression & gotten my hormones back in balance, THANK GOD!!! I've almost lost all the weight I gained while I took anti depressants too. The pill has helped me get my metabolism back too which is something I thought would never happen!

violet
06-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi, I have been on cybalta on 60 mg for 2 weeks. I think it is helping. I will continue to use it . I really have to watch my diet or else I get a flare even with cybalta. And i do cheat alot. I hope I can tolerate more things after I am on it for a longer time.