PDA

View Full Version : Zyrtec?

Mrs. Burschman
04-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Hello all,

My doctor gave me samples of Zyrtec. It's one of the newer antihistamines. Anyone heard of that being used for IC? I've mostly only heard of Atarax. That makes me so sleepy I'm basically nonfunctional.

Thanks!

Mrs. Burschman

Shalai
04-06-2006, 06:58 AM
I was taking Zyrtec to help with IC. It made me groggy and sleepy at first, but then I figured out if I take it about 3 hours before bed, I don't feel that way the next morning.

Sherry

Mrs. Burschman
04-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Sherry,

I notice you said "was" taking it. Did it help at all? Thanks!

Amy (Mrs. Burschman)

ICB
04-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Many IC patients do very well on Zyrtec; however there are some that have not received symptom control with that medication and have switched to Atarax or Vistaril.

Either Atarax or Vistaril comes in a liquid form. If Zyrtec does not work for you, you can ask your doctor to prescribe the liquid form of hydroxyzine and start by taking a lower dose. You can slowly work yourself up in dosage, if needed. This way your body will slowly get used to the drug and you won't have as harsh a side-effect.

Only your healthcare provider can determine if the above suggestions are appropriate treatment options for you; these are just some suggestions that you can discuss with him/her.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB :flower:

Shehorst
04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I just started taking 10 mg of Zyrtec a day - been on it for 5 days now. It does make you sleepy so I take it right after dinner. I couldn't tolerate Atarax - made me a zombie! Anyway, I was told it takes about a month for the Zyrtec to help so I'll let you know at the beginning of next month.

Sherry
:cat:

dminton
04-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Wish I had good things to say, but I was on Zyrtec and also Singulair for 2 years and they did not help my bladder in the least. I sure had my allergies under control and slept well, though!

Mrs. Burschman
04-08-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm tempted to switch to Atarax it's so much cheaper and I think I feel just as sleepy on this stupid Zyrtec!

Not sure why my urologist gave me Zyrtec except that he had samples. But I'm going to ditch him and go back to urologist No. 1. I'll ask her.

Amy (Mrs. Burschman)

Shalai
04-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi Amy
sorry it took so long to reply back to your post. Yes, I was taking Zyrtec, and it did help with the IC, but I've went into remission and I've been able to come off everything except the Elmiron (still afraid to give that up).

Sherry

Mrs. Burschman
04-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Sherry,

That's a great reason to stop taking it! I'm happy for you!

Amy (Mrs. Burschman)

Shehorst
04-10-2006, 03:14 AM
Sherry,

I'm glad to hear that Zyrtec helped with your IC since I just started taking it. How long did you take it and what was the dosage?

Sherry

kiraks
04-14-2006, 11:09 AM
I've been on Zyrtec for years for my allergies (before I got diagnosed with IC 2 years ago even). I have absolutely no side effects with Zytec, but then again I have absolutely no side effects with Benedryl either (except when I drink alcohol).

I just got atarax prescibed to me today and I'm very excited. I'm hoping it will help more than the Zyrtec/Benedryl combo did. I will now be taking Zyrtec/Atarax combo daily.

It's so weird that Benedryl doesn't make me sleepy! My doctor said that it doesn't for some people, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I was takin 4-5 a day!

Well, I'll let you all know how it goes!

Ruth France
04-15-2006, 05:51 AM
I am taking zyrtec, 10 my a day initially, and now I'm up to 20 mg. Initially it helpes my urgency/frequency immediately, but now Im in a flare up and I've doubled the dose to see what happens. Does anyone else have principally urgencyfrequency issues?

Angeles
05-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Wow! I've been taking Zyrtec for a few months now for allergies but I didn't know that some people take it for IC????
I don't undersatnd the hwole connection b/t allergies and IC.

My allergies are very bad. If I don't take Zyrtec I sneeze a hundred times a day. Specially during allergy season:flower:

I take Zyrtect chewables ( I have stomach problems)

Zyrtec helps my allergies but not a great deal since I still sneeze a few times even after taking it.. I don't know if it helps my IC (I hope it does!)

I'm curious about Atarax....

Shalai
05-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Sherry,

I'm glad to hear that Zyrtec helped with your IC since I just started taking it. How long did you take it and what was the dosage?

Sherry

I took 10 mg per day for about 3 years. I accidently found out it helped the IC when I ran out and didn't get to the pharmacy for a few days. My symptoms came back, but when I got the prescription filled and started taking it again, the symptoms disappeared. That's how I made the connection.

Sherry

Patrice
05-31-2006, 02:33 AM
Very interesting....I came here to search Zyrtec and saw it was the top thread! My allergies have been awful this spring. I went to the allergist yesterday...I'm allergic to everything indoors and outdoors. She prescribed Zyrtec and Nasonex. Anyway, she said to take either the hydroxyzine I take for IC OR the Zyrtec, not both. I had weaned off teh hydroxyzine but have been in a flare (maybe due to the allergies?) and was going to go back on. I see someone above takes both. Does anyone know if 10 mg Zyrtec and 25 mg hydroxyzine (vistiral) would be too much???

Shehorst
05-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Patrice,

I would check the drug interactions online with a website like drugdigest.org. I know personally I wouldn't be able to stay awake. :smile tee I have now been taking the Zyrtec for a few weeks and it has really helped.

Sherry