PDA

View Full Version : "To Kegel, or NOT to Kegel..."

ICB
03-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Many IC patients are told to do kegel exercises and many are told that it is the WORST thing that you could do if you have Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. There is an informational article by a physical therapist that answer's the boggling question: To Kegel, or NOT to Kegel?
You can find the article at www.roadtoslainte.blogspot.com.

I suggest that you consult with your healthcare provider if you believe that the information above may be helpful; your healthcare provider will determine the appropriate treatment regimen for you.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

ICB :flower:

IcyAngel23
03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Kegal isn't for IC. Like you said that is the worst but they have you do them when you are being measured on the EMG and to pratice relaxing those muscles.

rosesitty
03-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Even Dr. Moldwin's book says to do it once so you know where the pelvic muscles are, and then don't do it again. I'm think what he MEANS is don't do it while you're in a spasm, but it's okay to do when you're trying to strengthen the muscles. I'm probably reading into it, but that's my take anyway.

ICNDonna
03-02-2006, 03:01 AM
I honestly think that's an excellent question for your doctor! Kegels have never bothered me.

Donna

Sheltie Lover
03-02-2006, 05:24 AM
I would encourage you to ask your Urologist. They referred me to a PT for pelvic floor dysfunction. I have tightness and have touble relaxingalthough I do not have IC. I think its definately sometihing anyone with bladder probles should discuss with an informed doc. My gyno had no clue I had PFD.

NTHottie14
03-02-2006, 10:59 AM
I was told by Dr. Moldwin that physical therapy and kegels was the wrong thing to do. He said it just makes the PFD even worse. Hes treating me with a muscle relaxer and 2 baths a day and that will help release the tention in the muscles. hope this helps!!

laura

July
03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Under my PTs guidance, I'm doing pelvic floor excercises and kegels. I had to start out slow on the number of Kegels, and build up gradually. I started out overdoing the Kegels, and felt it! Then I started doing less and not as hard. That really helped. My PT says that I have muscle tension/spasm and weak muscles (hence the Kegels). She did say that one of her colleagues does not begin Kegels until the spasms/pain subside. I guess there are different schools of thought on Kegels. One of the best things you can do is to listen to your body and see how it is reacting to the kegels, and make changes as necessary.

rosesitty
03-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Laura - it's interesting that's how Dr. Moldwin is treating you, but he actually recommends PT, Electrostim as treatment options. Perhaps it's on a person by person basis.

purpleviolet
03-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I just started PFT and she has me doing lots of Kegals.

Justalamp
03-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Every time I do Kegals I get more crampy feeling than normal But my Dr says to do them anyway.

ICB
03-08-2006, 02:18 AM
You may want to read the blog To Kegel or Not To Kegel - the website is: www.roadtoslainte.blogspot.com. Your physician may not know everything about PFD; you may need a second opinion. Patient's symptoms vary so widely that it has to be an individualized therapy, suited to YOUR needs. If the Kegels bother you, your body may be trying to tell you something.

The saying "No Pain - No Gain" is not always true with IC patients. You may also need to consult with another physical therapist that specializes in Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Therapy; many PT's are trained to help patients with incontinence, which is the opposite problem than what a PFD patient experiences.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB :flower: