PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who take 25-50mg Hydroxyzine

JaniceB
12-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I just started Hydroxyzine this week. The prescription is for 25mg, two per day, but the dr told me maybe just start out taking one at bedtime. I asked the pharmacist, he said if I need to take two, probably take one during the day and one at night. I'm not sure if I want to do that, I'm scared it might knock me out during the day, and I have a 2-year old to chase around, so I need to be alert. :bonk:

What do you all do? I thought I would try 25mg for awhile, then maybe step it up to 50mg. But I'm not sure how I am suppose to know if I need to increase it. Did you notice more improvement with the 50mg? My pain has been pretty manageable with the amitriptilyne so I'm mainly looking for improvement with frequency/urgency/pressure.

Thanks
Janice

sandy426
12-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi there.......I have been on hydroxyzine hcl 25mg once a day for 3 months. I take it at bedtime, but it kills me---I cannot get up in the morning, and I am groggy and tired all the time. I'm not sure if it has improved my symptoms, the only thing I know for sure is that it is the best sleep aid I have ever taken!! :) I have had sleeping problems for years, but not with this!! My doctor advised me to break it in half and just take half every night, but I don't know if there would be any benefit from such a small dose. I know people have posted here that the groginess goes away with time, but it hasn't so far for me. Good luck---I hope it helps you!!

green_the_fish
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Hello!

I'm not currently taking hydroxyzine, but I was on 25 mg for several months. I always took it at night, and never had any problems with it. I never did notice the big drowsiness effect that people talk about, though. Then again, I never tried taking it in the morning. Also, I never tried taking 50 mg either. Maybe I'm not the best person to answer this, then? lol :D

Oh well, good luck with your meds anyway :)

icjen
12-09-2005, 04:37 PM
I also take 25mg at night. I'm sure it does cause drowsiness, but being that I take it at night I don't usually feel the effects (I'm a great sleeper all the time anyway). I am however tired all day long. Could be from that I suppose, but actually I've taken that for over a year, and my tiredness has been over last few months. I've never tried 50mg, but it probably could make you sleepy during that day if you take it twice a day. Did the pharmacist say why you can't take it all at once?
Jen

massagedoula
12-09-2005, 05:09 PM
At 10mg of hydroxyzine I was a sleepy wreck. It was so bad that I stopped taking it. I doubt you will react as strongly as me, but try to cut the tabs in half for the first week or so, just to ease into it and let your body adjust, and so you can experiment with how you feel at a different dosage. I was so sleepy at 10mg that 25mg would have made me feel like I was in a coma, most likely! I was trying to ease up to that level, but had to go off of it.

Imustpee
12-10-2005, 03:25 AM
I started with 25 at night, then I went to 50, sometimes I even did 75...I don't take it anymore since I have a foley..

vm
12-10-2005, 09:57 AM
My doc started me at 25 mg at bedtime. I felt drowsy the first several days and then that side effect went away. Then a month later he had me start taking an additional 25mg in the mornings. Drowsiness again for several days and then it left once again.

emilyrose197377
12-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I take 25 mg twice a day . When I first started taking it ,it made me drowsy. But now my body is adjusted to it . It doesn't make me tired anymore.

dyno
12-10-2005, 10:56 AM
I also take 25mg. at bedtime... I sometimes take an additional one during the day and do fine with it.

JaniceB
12-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Hmmm OK, thanks, I think I will check with my dr before trying the 50mg just to see what she thinks would be best as far as when to take it. Thanks!!
Janice

Debgail
12-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I take 50 mg of atarax and 25 - 50 mg of elavil at night. Yes, it makes me droswy after a few hours but I swear by what they do for me. Without atarax I have horrible urethral and vaginal swelling and bladder pain. If I am in a huge flare and at home I may take another atarax during the day and it does help. I think everyones body seems to get use to these if they give it some time.

Hope it helps you!!!!!

Warm Hugs, Debbie

JaniceB
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
HI Debbie, thank you, so good to hear it helps you. I have been on the hydroxyzine almost a week now, and I think it is helping, as I have been able to stay at 25mg amitriptilyne without having to take any additional pain meds (knock on wood, LOL). So I think I will stay at the 25mg on both for awhile yet and see what happens.
Janice

Debgail
12-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Good for you Janice!!!!! I hope you get continued relief and have lots and lots of pain free days to spend with your little one!

Warm hugs, Debbie

tigger_gal
12-13-2005, 09:53 AM
I started hydroxizine at 25 mg a night the first week, 50 the second week.. now I am up to 75 mg a night.. I have been taking it 2 years.. I was told by my uro. to take them at night because they make you tired.. and try to get 8 hours worth of sleep.

saptree
12-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I started at 10mg for a week then went up to 25mg and it knocked me out so cold. At the time my son was sleeping with us. He apparently would wake up crying in the night but my husband said I never woke up. I told my doc that its too strong. I went back down to 10mg so that I can keep track of my 2 yr old.
I can't imagine taking it during the day. No way would I be able to function. It is a great sleep aid for the nighttime though. Helps me from having to pee in the middle of the night.
Sherry

JaniceB
12-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Yes I can sleep through the night now most nights, its great! I don't have a problem waking up in the AM, so I think maybe I will stay at the 25mg. I am also scared to take it during the day. If I get to the point where I want to try a second dose during the day, I'll wait for a day when my husband is home to help watch our son, LOL.

I just added Elmiron now, to, so I am really excited that I will see even more improvement.

Janice

SandyRN
12-14-2005, 05:28 AM
I started on 25 mg per day and my new uro said in my case it wasn't nearly enough. He put me on 75 mg that I can either spread out through the day or take all at once at night. I've been taking it at night and I'm sleeping like a log, and wake up rested the next day too!

I think it all depends on your tolerance for meds....I take Zanaflex, and it makes me VERY sleepy, but I can take the atarax, etc, and I'm fine durning the day....go figure.

Oh, and it has helped me significantly increasing the dose!

Tar Heel
12-18-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm new to the boards but I'm a man who has had IC since 1972, but not diagnosed correctly until 2000. I'm going to talk to my MD about trying the atarax. I tried Elmiron but it caused my stomach to hurt and I had to stop it. I need something to help me sleep through the night. Lately I have been taking Ativan to help me sleep, which works great and helps with the pain, but I don't want to get addicted to the Ativan.

vm
12-18-2005, 11:39 AM
:welcome:Tar Heel. :)

I wondered if you had heard that many people find they are reacting to the capsule Elmiron is in - rather than the drug itself. Some find that emptying the capsule contents into a glass of water and taking it that way helps their stomach upset. Thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't heard that.

Tar Heel
12-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome Kim. No, I havn't heard that information about the Elmiron. I developed constant and bad stomach pain during my third month on Elmiron. I'm not sure how that could occur from the capsule. Do you know? I know that abdominal pain is listed as a side effect for Elmiron. I'm going back on CystoProtek as soon as it arrives. I thought that it helped me more than the Elmiron did. Both CystoProtek and the antihistimines work by stopping the mast cell production. I guess it's Ok to take both at once but probably no one knows. I'm eagar to see if the Atarax helps.

I avoid alcohol, coffee, sodas, fruit juices, citrus fruits, tomato sauce, cranberries, and vinegar. I find these foods and liquids to be the most irritating, but even with avoiding these foods, I still have quite a bit of pain.

twiggy
12-19-2005, 01:30 AM
I take 50 mg. 25 at night and 25 in the morning. I'm usually tired anyway so I don't find that it makes a significant difference. Good luck!

emilyrose197377
12-19-2005, 01:37 AM
:welcome: To the ICN. I too can't take elmiron it caused me major stomach issues. I take hydroxyazine 25 mg twice and day and 75 mg if I am flaring. It has been a miracle to me . At the beginning it made me tired but it doesn't anymore. I wish you luck in finding the right combo meds for you . I would ask about hydroxyzine.

hoping4acure
12-19-2005, 02:25 AM
I took 50mg of hydroxyazine. it never made me tired...got the opp. effect! I had to take it first thing in the morning or I would be up all night. It was a life saver :)

Tina K
12-28-2005, 11:04 AM
I started both atarax 25 mg and amitriptalyne 25 mg right before the holidays, but stopped the Atarax before Christmas because I was too tired and very nasty, I was a super you know what. I take them at night and am still a zombie all day long. I didn't tell my doctor but may try again cutting it in half like some of you guys suggested. Antihistamines have a super strong effect on me, they make me spacey and mean. I was almost more depressed on it than I am off of it.

Does it make anyone else nasty?

I will keep pluggin away.

Tar Heel
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I tried Atarax and it made my bladder much worse. I read that some people are sensitive to the fillers in the pills. I just started taking 25 mg amitriptalyne at bedtime instead. It made me very drowsy today but hopefully that side effect will diminish soon. I'm also taking CystoProtek every day. This is my second time using CystoProtek and it helped quite a bit the first time I took it (about six months). I shouldn't have quit taking it.

painfree4me
01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Benedryl works really well too, believe it or not!

trytosmile
01-07-2006, 02:20 AM
I'm on 50 mg once a day at night, knocks me out and very groggy during the day. Recently changed to 25 mg twice a day (morning and evening) hoping wouldn't effect me as much, no such luck. Still knocks me out and still very groggy during the day.