PDA

View Full Version : Singulair with Hydroxyzine

dyno
10-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I am on here for just a second and will check back in later. I am still very busy trying to get settled after my move this week.

I had to go to the Dr. here yesterday because my allergies are just beating the heck out of me and I needed to see what else I could do.

I saw a family Dr. who I have never seen before. I was happy with him, too bad he will be to far away once I get settled where I want to here.

Anyway, he gave me some samples of Singulair 10 mg. to try. He said you take one a day. So that tells me they are time released. Also he said it would be fine to take my Hydroxyzine with it at bedtime.

Has anyone else been on both of these antihistamines at the same time... just curious?

dyno
10-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I want to add one more thing to this.... I am pretty dried out from the Singulair I took this morning. I am really wondering if both the Vistaril and the Singulair will dry me out too much... I hate juggling medications not knowing what it is going to do until you try it.

Sarojini
10-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, I take both Singulair and Atarax. It is fine, because technically Singulair is not an antihistamine.. it is what is known as an "anti-leukotriene" agent. Leukotrienes are factors other than histamine that your body produces in cases of inflammation, especially inflammation caused by IgE (the antibody subtype most commonly associated with allergy).

Singulair was originally developed as a treatment for asthmatics (which is why I've been on it for about 3.5 to 4 years, since it came out)-- but they found that as an added benefit, it helps nasal allergies/hay fever as well :) :woohoo:

It is not really a time-release thing; it just has a long half-life in the body. You should find that it doesn't make you drowsy like an antihistamine would.

dyno
10-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Ok then I will feel comfortable taking it. I really do think it helped today. He gave me 8 of them. If after 4 of them I still feel they are helping, I will have him write me a script for them. Thanks Jen, that helps a lot.

mela414
10-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm wondering if I can take zyrtec and singulair?
Sarojini, I see that you take Nystatin when needed for yeast infections. Do you use the vag tablets or take it orally? I seem to have a problem with yeast and am thinking I might have to be on something long term. I think I've been in denial over systeic yeast but it keeps creeping back............hmmmmmmmmm
Hope that you are doing ok :)

purpleviolet
10-17-2005, 09:58 AM
I took Singulair and hydroxyzine together and didn't feel any different. The hydoxyazine had made me groggy before. I don' t think I'm the hight IgE type, so singulair didn't do anything for me, but maybe for allergy type people will. Good luck.