PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Take Urised/Usept? (green/blue pee)

TempestBled
10-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone else takes Urised or Usept for pain/spasams?
I have a hypersensitivity to pyridium and throw it up isntantly so my Doc many years ago perscribed Urised for my baldder pain. I hate it. It has a small ammount of atropine in it and with the dose of up to 8 pills a day I have noticed that can really speed up my heart rate, raise my blood pressure, cause the WORST dry-mouth, and on top of that I really hate the way it tastes/smells. Sometimes when I am taking the pill the smell causes me to gag and worst of all (worse than the brightly colored all-staining blue pee) causes my urine to have that same makes-me-want-to-gag smell! It also has to be taken with some type of acid to work because Methenamine, the major component of this drug, acts as a mild antiseptic by changing into formaldehyde in the urinary tract when it comes in contact with acidic urine. So it is kinda nice if I want to indulge in some coffee or OJ or wine. MMMM...

Anyways I guess it cant be all that bad, cause here I still am 6 years later taking it about 50% of the time as needed for pain. I guess anything that helps the pain at all is worth all these side effects.. but gosh! :headbang:

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Babs RN
10-09-2005, 04:22 AM
I have taken the Urised before and noticed the horrible smell and taste and have thougt I was a little touched in the head :loco: I have permanently stained undies too.

Hugs,
Barb :grouphug:

ICNDonna
10-09-2005, 04:54 AM
I also have taken urised, but not as much as you are taking. As I recall, I took one pill four times a day. I don't like to take the "stain" stuff, but it really did help me.

Donna

emilyrose197377
10-09-2005, 05:19 AM
I have taken urised before still do if I get real bad it caused my urine to turn blue but never had those other side effects you listed .

Bianchi
10-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Is Urised the same as Prosed? Because proced also stains everything blue, and you pee a wonderful blue.
Bianchi

csocain
10-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I took Urimar T for a year after my diagnosis and it helped a great deal. By then my bladder had settled down enough that I did not need it. I had a lot of stomach problems with all of my medications, so going off of the Urimar T was beneficial in many respects. What about wearing panty liners to keep the blue stain off of our underwear? I thought about that AFTER I stopped taking it! Just a suggestion. Praying that you find the relief that you need with the best medication. Blessings of hope and grace to you!

ErinBear
10-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I take urised also, but I take one pill four times a day, for some of the reasons you mentioned. I also have had problems with staining, but I use Biz when I do my white laundry, and that has really helped a great deal. I do wear panty liners...I know some folks have trouble with that...but between the stains from the urised and some leakage problems I have, the liners help too. So you might try those things if you haven't already. I think taking the two pills does help more with the pain, but I still get some good pain relief with the one pill, and definitely less side effects!

Take care,
ErinBear

sbelle474
10-11-2005, 06:44 AM
I take Prosed EC every day too. Do any of you take this type of thing long term? To get my bladder calmed down the first time it took 4 months of pyridium. Pyridium burns me externally so I am glad to be on something that doesn't cause other problems. I also bought Victoria's Secret on sale panties for those days I take more than two of these darn things :)
I have been trying to wean off of four a day but i seem to still feel my bladder regardless, any suggestions? (ps i am trying calcium citrate, and have ordered some marshmallow root tea :)

SandyRN
10-11-2005, 08:17 AM
The Atropine sulfate, and Hyoscyamine that are in the med are what is so effective in reducing trips to the potty and what can reduce the spasms. They are also anti-cholenergic drugs and can cause rapid heart rate, etc. It may be that you are taking more than your body can handle...I'd definately talk to the doctor about it before you take any more.

ps....I guess you know the side effects of those meds....I haven't had any problems with it and it helps me a LOT with my spasms and frequency....don't know what I'd do without it sometimes.

tiggersorensen
10-11-2005, 09:11 AM
In regards to the Usept/Urised I found that once my bladder improved, this medicine was an irritation. I read something somewhere that said blue dye is harder on us than any other color, maybe that's why it became worse for me?

ErinBear
10-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi,

I've been taking Urised for some time now (months) and have had no ill effects. I did take off a few months in the middle of the year when I had some improvement, then went back on. My urologist seems to think it is okay. I'm open to going back off it if I'm doing better. I do generally take 3 pills a day (one at three doses) which is not the full dose, and I generally skip the evening dose, because I've found my mouth and eyes get too dry at night if I take it then. But if I'm extra-painful at night, every once in awhile I will take one pill at night, generally around the time of my period.

I know they say it is not good to take it on an ongoing basis, but it is one of the few things that seems to help a bit for me, particularly with the urethritis. We seem to be between a rock and a hard place in my case, so for the moment, I'm still taking it.

Take care,
ErinBear

poetgirl
10-11-2005, 01:10 PM
I have used Urised as needed for years, and aside from the blue dye, I have not experienced any of the side effects you mention. It does sound like you are taking more than the recommended dose, however. I have always been advised to take one tablet 4 times a day.

I found Urised to be a much better alternative for me than Pyridium, which made me feel queasy, and the orange dye irritated my urethra and vulva.

Portia17
10-11-2005, 08:54 PM
That did not work for me

I just take percocet. I has been a GOD send. I get a little loopy and hyper and that is only side effect. I am glad I get hyper so I get things done. lol

Hugs
Mary

tiggersorensen
10-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Here's an interesting article on CNN about Gulf War Syndrome. It makes me wonder about some things... For example I'm highly allergic to mosquitos and was bitten many times right before my problems started. And there's also a high incidence of people who get sick with a virus and then end up with all this crap... So read and wonder!

Gulf War syndrome symptoms linked to brain damage

November 27, 2000
Web posted at: 12:37 PM EST (1737 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Symptoms such as memory loss and dizziness suffered by U.S. veterans with Gulf War syndrome can be correlated to specific areas of the brain where cells have died, probably from chemical exposure, researchers said on Monday.

In 1999 doctors from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas presented the results of brain scans performed on victims of the syndrome showing depleted brain cells in three areas of their brains.

"This year we show that brain cell losses from specific areas of the brain correlate with different symptoms and abnormalities," lead researcher Robert Haley said in a report released at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America.

MESSAGE BOARD
Should more be done to help veterans who have symptoms of Gulf War syndrome?

The scans performed on 12 veterans with severe cases of the syndrome found brain cell losses of between 10 percent and 25 percent in three regions deep inside the brain -- the basal ganglia in each hemisphere and the brain stem. Scans performed on healthy veterans of the 1990-1991 Gulf War were normal.

The Texas researchers have found the amount of brain cell loss in the Gulf War veterans to be comparable to that of patients with brain diseases like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease), multiple sclerosis, dementia and other degenerative neurological disorders, although the brain areas affected are different.

Veterans with damage to the right basal ganglia appeared to share symptoms such as impaired sense of direction, memory lapses and depression.

Brain cell losses on the left side appeared to cause more general confusion, including difficulty in understanding instructions, reading, solving problems and making decisions. Left side damage also appeared to correlate with elevated levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter involved in movement and emotion.

Damage to the brain stem appeared to account at least in part for loss of balance and dizzy spells in the veterans.

"This helps explain why not all patients have the same exact symptoms. Depending on which brain regions were damaged by chemicals in the war, veterans may have more or different types of symptoms," Haley said.

In past research the Texas team has identified three primary Gulf War syndromes, and tried to link sets of symptoms with different combinations of chemicals toxic to brain cells.

Syndrome 1, commonly found in veterans who wore pesticide-containing flea collars, is marked by impaired cognition.

Syndrome 2, called confusion ataxia, is the most severe and debilitating. It was found among veterans who said they were exposed to low-level nerve gas and experienced side effects from anti-nerve gas pyridostigmine (PB), tablets.

"It may have been the combination of low-level nerve gas exposure and anti-gas tablets that caused the brain damage underlying (the most severe form of the) syndrome," Haley said.

Syndrome 3, characterized by central pain, is found in veterans who wore insect repellent with high concentrations of DEET, a repellent chemical, and who experienced side effects from the anti-nerve gas tablets.

The researchers noted that brain scans performed on veterans suffering from combat stress and post-traumatic stress symptoms did not correlate significantly with damage in any of the three brain regions.

As many as 100,000 of the 700,000 U.S. soldiers who served in the Gulf War complain of symptoms, which many attribute to exposure to chemicals.

jodi91
10-13-2005, 06:11 PM
i just had to say that i too am on urised...i haven't been taking it like i'm supposed to. i take it 3 times a day, when i actually should be taking them four times a day...it does help a bit with the frequency...i do have pain almost every other day though-is that normal? did you any of you experience that?

also, i read a post listed here that said the urised is to be taken with something acidic...can someone clarify this for me?

jodi

ErinBear
10-14-2005, 04:41 AM
Hi Jodi,
As far as taking the urised with something acidic, that is not necessary, and probably not helpful if you have IC. For most people with IC, I think it is helpful to avoid acidic foods. If you look up the IC diet suggestions here on the site, you can find a list of foods that are safe, and which foods to avoid, if you haven't done so already. A lot of people find that acidic foods make their symptoms worse.

For me, I still have pain even with the Urised, but the pain is less - and I'm thankful for any kind of help I can get! So if you can tell that the Urised is helping you, it may be worth continuing to take it, especially if other treatments aren't working for you.

Take care,
ErinBear

tigger_gal
10-14-2005, 05:20 AM
I have taken urised for 3 years. I have never had a problem with it. I have never taken more then 3 a day. I wouldn't take 8 if it was making your heart rate jump up. I would think that you were taking to much if your having problems. I hope you get this all straightened out and you feel better soon.
Brat

tiggersorensen
10-15-2005, 06:24 AM
For me, I had a constant low level pain that was kind of sharp like my bladder was being stretched too far. When I went off the Urised, this eased up. But I'm also able to take pyridium and my pain is fairly manageable. I only take Py when it's needed, not daily.

TempestBled
10-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the input back! I am glad that I am not the only one experiencing the side effects! I have noticed that this drug does work better if it is taken with something acidic... And I dont take 8 a day all the time, I take 1-2 pills 1-4x a day as needed for pain. That is the perscription. I have an appt with my uro on the 18th and these replys have given me a whole lot of questions to ask him!