PDA

View Full Version : bladder pain on Cymbalta?

dminton
09-30-2005, 07:12 AM
I read some older posts but wanted to start a new one: specifically, does anyone have INCREASED bladder pain on Cymbalta? It has been suggested that I try it for depression, and pain, but I am cautious because all of the SSRIs I've tried (Zoloft, Celexa, 5-HTP) have DEFINITELY increased bladder pain! Cymbalta is not a SSRI, however. Any other comments? How does it effect sleep, mood, anxiety, etc.?

JenG
10-01-2005, 07:13 AM
I have started on Cymbalta about a month or so ago. It has not led to more bladder pain, but it also has not lessened the pain either. I was put on it to help my fibro, hasn't seem to do much for it yet. The only thing I do think it is helping is for the depression and anxiety. I do seem to have a little more energy now. (Which doesn't help much when I am in extreme Pain!)

One thing I did have to adjust is I starting taking it (60mg) at night before bed, and it made me hyper and unable to sleep. I then started taking first thing in the morning. Now it doesn't affect my sleep at all.

Hope this helps!

dminton
10-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the reply, Jen! I guess more energy and no increase in pain is something, but too bad Cymbalta doesn't offer more, at least not yet. Perhaps it takes a while to kick in for pain control?

Sounds as if we have some diagnoses in common. Mind my asking what you do for RLS? I find that half an extra strength Vicodin works wonders, but I'm having trouble with rebound headaches with Vicodin so am in a quandary with all that right now.

One of my doctors gave me Lyrica to try, it's the new Neurontin. I will probably experiment with it this weekend. Wish me luck!

Your career background sounds fascinating!

Diana.

solost
10-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Sorry to give a negative post, but I have tried Cymbalta twice and could only take it four days each time due to severe bladder flares. Of course, we are all different, so I really hope it helps for you! Every anti-depressant I have tried either causes urine retention or bladder flares! It is so unfair!

My doc prescribed me Lyrica, but my insurance company wouldn't cover it! Let us all know how it works for you! I'm very interested!!

JenG
10-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Diana :)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. About the RLS, I am currently looking for something that will work better than what I am using. I am taking zanaflex at bedtime along with my hydroxazine (atarax). Sometimes it relaxes me enough, sometimes it doesn't. On bad nights I take a darvocet, it doesn't seem to give me headaches, I know if I take a percocet I get rebound headaches.

My career - seems like another lifetime. I was an architect for 7 years, before I had children. Then with two kids, I decided being an architect would take too much time away from them, so I got a part time job as an elementary school art teacher. That was great for 5 years, until all the health problems. I found the pelvic pain and bladder urgency made it impossible to be on my feet that long, not to mention the very limited bathroom breaks. Then after my fibro started up, I can't even imagine being able to lift my arms up long enough to do all the drawing, painting, etc. I needed to do on the boards. Sorry, didn't mean to make this into a pitty party!! Thanks for taking an interst in my past - it did bring up good memories too!

Keep in touch!

dminton
10-03-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks, "SOLOST" and "JENG"! I too get so frustrated with med side effects. It just never seems to end.

I will keep you posted on Lyrica, if I get the courage to try yet another thing.

Jen, my background is doing massage, and then I got an R.N. license and did that for 8 years. I need to recreate myself once again; I am currently getting disability but it is about half of what I need to make ends meet each month. Massage is out of the question due to fibro, and nursing was just horrible in general, stress-wise. I started a thread in the career section about this.

I try to do something each day that makes me happy, and I find that this can help regarding depression. I read that doing this can raise your serotonin levels, without medication! For example, I went to the beach yesterday and ended up trying to rescue an injured sea bird for two hours; I didn't think about my problems the whole time!

Diana.

jeanmary
10-03-2005, 12:00 PM
I will be posting my experience with Lyrica to let you all know how it works. I just started it last night and believe it will take several weeks to months before I know if it will help. I also have dysesthetic vulvodynia which is another reason I am starting this drug. I happen to believe my pain (mostly urethral and pressure) comes from puendal nerve irritation. Lyrica, an anticonvulsant is the newest "neurontin" without some of the side effects. I have a script for cymbalta but want to try lyrica first. Lyrica was just approved in January so there is little history out there.
Wish me luck...this could be just the ticket. :rolleyes:
Jean
P.S. My neurologist actually called me to begin this drug. Sometimes they really do care.
Other meds:detrol xl, prosed ec, sometimes pyridium, 5 mgs vicodin when needed

dminton
10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi, Jeanmary,

Best of luck with Lyrica. I have heard that it is supposed to work faster than Neurontin, so maybe for you, it will.

I am curious about pudendal nerve irritation; would you be willing to explain more about that? I am always trying to figure this IC thing out. Thanks!

diana.