PDA

View Full Version : What fruits do you eat?

summermuffin
09-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Hi!

I am struggling a lot with the IC diet. I wanted to know what kinds of fruits do you guys eat? I want to lose weight and need to stay away from bad sugary things...like muffins etc.

So...I need to know some fruits I can eat?

CarInder
09-20-2005, 07:41 AM
i can eat a variety of fruits that are on the restricted ic diet list like strawberries, etc. the only fruit i do not eat are bananas, which i'm allergic to, melon and pinapple, which i hate though they don't bother me. mainly, i prefer raspberries, blueberries, apples, pears, nectarines and peaches. i would just try a variety of things and see how you react to them. many folks can't tolerate citris fruits too.
good luck, carinder

massagedoula
09-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Pears (all varieties) Asian Pears (like an apple/pear) Blueberries.

Rasberries, Blackberries, Peaches in small amounts.

kadi
09-20-2005, 04:50 PM
pears, dates, raisins

Pristine
09-20-2005, 09:48 PM
I eat unlimited strawberries, grapes, blackberries, red delicious apples, kiwis, raisens, dates, cherries and rasberries. I can tolerate one good juicy peach once a week. I can tolerate one bananna every two weeks.
Pears do not bother my IC but i had to give them up and the pear juice due to the horrible stomach pain they cause me.

PenguinK
09-21-2005, 01:04 AM
I have found that I can eat bananas if they're not too ripe (the more ripe the more acidic I'm told) Blueberries, and Trader Joe's Blueberry jam w/o any other ingredients, Gala Apples.

I haven't tried raspberries yet or canteloupe even though I love both. My reactions are so severe that I'm terrified to go off of the "OK" list. I rarely stray into the "sometimes ok" list unless it's something I don't think I can resist.

KK

summermuffin
09-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the info.
I actually didn't realize that bananas are acidic. I've been eating them thinking they are okay. Oops. But, I'll try out your suggestions. Thank you sooo much.

csocain
09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I can eat most fruits but have to leave off the citrus fruits and, of course, cranberries. Can't have dried fruits either. Have enjoyed pears, apples, peaches, and cantaloupe lately. Looking forward to others soon. Praying you will find just the right fruits for you. Blessings of wisdom and peace to you.

MarthaB
09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
i have no problems with bananas, but citrus fruit is a big no no, i have tried a couple of strawberries, i don't think they bothered me much, oh and pineapple is a no go as well, martha

oopsy
09-23-2005, 04:49 AM
I seem to be able to eat most fruits, which is contradictory to the diet suggestions I found at http://www.ichelp.com/TreatmentAndSelfHelp/ICAndDiet.html
I guess it depends on how your body reacts, try different fruits and see what works best for you.
Brooke :)

SrMaggie
09-23-2005, 09:51 AM
I have eaten bananas, grapes, cantalope, watermelon, strawberries, peaches and pears with little side effect.
I did have some pineapple, which I love, but it did a number on me. I even mixed it with cottage cheese hoping that it would neutralize the acid. NOT.
I too, am trying to loose weight, but sometimes I feel so lousy I give in to my comfort food of oreo cookies or ice cream or instant mashed potatoes (I know - ugh for those of you fresh veggie folks).

MelissaJ
09-23-2005, 04:40 PM
I eat everything except oranges, grapefruit and cranberries. I love fruit so I refuse to give it up. And it doesn't really bother me. Some fruits, like strawberries, though I can only have in small amounts. Oh and, just for anyone who is interested white chocolate covered blueberries are really good (just roll blueberries in melted white chocolate and stick them in the freezer for a bit)

~*~Christine~*~
09-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Blueberries and pears. I find that all melons irriate me even though they're not supposed to :o/
Mango seems to be okay too

~*~Christine~*~
09-24-2005, 02:06 AM
"I actually didn't realize that bananas are acidic. I've been eating them thinking they are okay."

I don't think they're acidic; I believe it's the potassium that irritates the bladder but I could be wrong

Raelyn
09-24-2005, 02:39 PM
I do a whole banana every morning for breakfast but I make sure it is ripe enough to have some brown spots on it. I have no problem with most fruits. Ditto, I do not do citrus and cranberries. I missed fruit so much and finally read about "food combining" and learned to eat my fruit meal in the morning and not to combine fruit with other foods. Bingo! I know it was the first step of my beginning to feel better. I now usually do 3, 4 or 5 fruits at breakfast. In the beginning I was using a pH test tape and yes, when I would get too alkaline it would cause a lot of pain. Over the last 18 months I have gone from typical IC to pretty normal. I have been going to the bathroom 4 or 5 times a day and voiding 14 to 20 ounces. I have prayed and worked diligently for this and it has been the results of several things. I now know that my thyroid was a big part of my pain. If you are on thyroid be sure you are well managed at the Free T3 and Free T4 levels. Even if you aren't on thyroid it might be wise to still have these tests done. I am so thankful to be able to leave the house and actually feel "normal". I have never taken any of the drugs used for IC and had always looked for ways to build up the body and to heal the bladder. I am 69 years old so no spring chicken but I have really good health except for the bladder episode. The Amrit Willis book was also a big help to me in treating IC via natural means.

massagedoula
09-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I also have been recently experimenting with apples. So far so good. I can eat Gala apples and are branching out to try other types. I had a Jonagold today with no flare and I have a Fiji in my fruitbasket to try tomorrow.

I just also found out that I can do natural fresh ground peanut butter from my health food store bulk section, so I have been eating peanut butter on apples every day this week! I am so excited to be eating something new.....

mary124
09-25-2005, 05:52 AM
I can eat bananas, grapes, cantalopes, small amounts of strawberries.

summermuffin
09-25-2005, 08:07 PM
I do a whole banana every morning for breakfast but I make sure it is ripe enough to have some brown spots on it. I have no problem with most fruits. Ditto, I do not do citrus and cranberries. I missed fruit so much and finally read about "food combining" and learned to eat my fruit meal in the morning and not to combine fruit with other foods. Bingo! I know it was the first step of my beginning to feel better. I now usually do 3, 4 or 5 fruits at breakfast. In the beginning I was using a pH test tape and yes, when I would get too alkaline it would cause a lot of pain. Over the last 18 months I have gone from typical IC to pretty normal. I have been going to the bathroom 4 or 5 times a day and voiding 14 to 20 ounces. I have prayed and worked diligently for this and it has been the results of several things. I now know that my thyroid was a big part of my pain. If you are on thyroid be sure you are well managed at the Free T3 and Free T4 levels. Even if you aren't on thyroid it might be wise to still have these tests done. I am so thankful to be able to leave the house and actually feel "normal". I have never taken any of the drugs used for IC and had always looked for ways to build up the body and to heal the bladder. I am 69 years old so no spring chicken but I have really good health except for the bladder episode. The Amrit Willis book was also a big help to me in treating IC via natural means.

What is the food combining thing? I don't know anything about that. Can you elaborate?

Julie B
09-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Blueberries, pears, an apple or a banana now and then, raspberries ( I found some dried raspberries that are wonderful!) Sometimes a half glass of orange juice. I can also eat canned pineapple now and then and I try fresh because I like it so much, but I think it is likely a big trigger for me (hence the last big flare that I had!)

ICNDonna
09-26-2005, 03:54 AM
We went to an orchard yesterday where they sell golden delicious apples, plums, pears --- every fruit that's grown in this area. I had half a peach and did fine. I can also eat the others mentioned, plus blueberries, blackberries, raspberries.

Donna