PDA

View Full Version : self catheterization

lexur
09-01-2005, 03:13 AM
hi...I'n a 23 and was diagnosed a year ago and been through a 2 rounds of DMSO. They just did a heparin instill and a biopsy and now they're telling me they're not sure what I've got...To make a long story short, I just started self-cath-ing...

My questions: Has anyone started to self-cath and now doesn't? Is this something I will be doing from now on??? How should I store my tubes...they've given me two for a month....???

ICNDonna
09-01-2005, 04:39 AM
I rarely have to cath any more. The way I store my catheters is to wash and rinse thoroughly with antibacterial soap, then wrap in a clean wash cloth that has been washed with clorine in the water. And I wash again before using.

Donna

Imustpee
09-01-2005, 04:48 AM
I have been self cathing more and more these last 2 months...9 times since last Friday...

lexur
09-01-2005, 06:41 AM
thanks guys....since I'm new to this....How much are catheters? Is there one better than the other? Are there pre-lubricated caths? Does insurance cover the price of stuff like this??

bikergirl47
09-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi There Have Ic For 20 Years Had Bladder Rebuilt Cath Every 4 Hrs. I Have The Best Insurance From The Union And No Theu Dont Pay For Catereds. Its A Real Pain. I Have Had Every Treatmeny Out There. And I Am Still Bad So I Am Going Tohave My Bladder Out Soon. Its Real Important To Keep Cath Clean If You Start To Get Infections Dont Reuse The Same Cath Always Wear Gloves. I Get Uti All Thetime No Fun. Good Luck. ? Why Are You Having To Cath ? I Am Very Concerned Please Let Me Know. I Have Had Dmso Lots Of Times. I Only Cath Now Because My Rebuilt Bladder Wont Empty On Its Own And If Urine Stay In There It Will Cause Infection. Hugs Darlene

lexur
09-01-2005, 07:17 AM
I just started self-cathing yesterday...
Two weeks ago (my NEW urologist) did a biopsy, heparin instill and a cysto. Since then my pain has increased and now it hurts everytime i urinate(it didn't before). I went to my follow-up yesterday. While waiting to be seen I had peed 3 times and told the doctor. The nurse then did an ultrasound and said that I still had 141mL in my bladder, so I have to start self-cathing 3 times a day and they've scheduled a urodynamics test. The only treatment I am getting is percocet, ultram, and now the self-cath.

lexur
09-07-2005, 11:35 AM
thanks...again....i've been getting specks of blood in my urine...
I spoke to NP and she said it was normal and b/c of me cathing...
anyone else have this happen???

Sarojini
09-07-2005, 11:47 AM
If you're getting visible blood you may have an infection, which is, unfortunately, common with those of us who cath frequently. You may want to drop off a urine sample to make sure this isn't the case. If you don't have an infection, it's possible to see blood on the end of the catheter if you've poked the side of your bladder -- I've had it happen before and usually drinking lots of water flushes it away and eases the inflammation a bit.

As for catheters, I use the long red rubber caths (Bardia) for my bladder instillations, and the shorter, stiffer Mentor catheters for cathing due to retention. My insurance covers the cost of these as long as I get them from a medical supply store that is in the network. And, yes, there are pre-lubed catheters -- they're called LoFric catheters and you wet them with water, wait a few seconds, and then use them (they're REALLY slippery).

The long red rubber caths can be re-used several times. I wash them with antibacterial soap after use, rinse extremely well, put in a Ziploc baggie, and microwave them for about 15 seconds to get them hot to sterilize, and store until needed. These were the instructions from my uro. Others boil the caths; some just use antibacterial soap. Whatever you do, inspect the catheter before using -- if it's starting to crack or feels really sticky, it's time to toss it and start with a fresh one.

Hope this helps :)