PDA

View Full Version : Bladder not Emptying

HillaryD
03-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Is it common to have your bladder not empty all the way with IC? I am new to IC and was diagnosed with it only a couple of weeks ago, so I am still learning about it. I know my bladder is not emptying all the way because when I go to the bathroom I can barely get anything to come out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:confused:

ICNDonna
03-14-2004, 06:50 AM
One of the worst things about IC is that sometimes the bladder just doesn't like urine at all --- if you're going to the bathroom very frequently, it may be that there just isn't much there.

If you feel you're retaining, I do suggest you talk to your doctor about this. One thing they can do is to have you urinate, then catheterize you to see how much urine is retained.

Sending warm healing thoughts,
Donna

Kathi
03-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Yup! retention stinks. Donna is right, please call the doc & let hime know. Wecome to the ICN :D Kathi

HillaryD
03-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Thank you! I go to my Urologist on Tuesday and will bring it up, along with the fact that my skin on my face is also becoming SO dry and flaky. I am so grateful to have everyone here to talk with!
kissing

Susan2
03-15-2004, 04:12 AM
Hi HIllary,
I am embrassed to write this, but..... it helps a little.
I sit on the commode on one hip, and pull my self apart as much as I can and it works sometimes.
My face is red, but any help I can get I appreciate it. I hope you understand what I am saying.
HUGS
SUSAN

HillaryD
03-15-2004, 04:17 AM
Susan,
Don't be embarrased. I appreciate your suggestion, and I will try it the next time I have to run to the bathroon! Thanks for your advice!
grouphug

Sarojini
03-15-2004, 05:15 AM
I feel your pain... I have some retention too. Definitely mention your possible retention to your urologist.

Your doc may not even need to catheterize you to find out how much you're retaining--- my uro has this really cool ultrasound machine right there in the exam room that he uses for measuring residual (retained) urine. If they do this, they ask you to go pee, and then you come back in the exam room. The nurse puts a bit of jelly on your lower abdomen and runs a probe over it gently. The machine prints out a calculation of how much urine is still in your bladder!! The whole process takes about 5 minutes and is pain-free.

Sending hugs,
Jen grouphug grouphug

HillaryD
03-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Jen,
I am pretty sure my Urologist has an Ultrasound in his office, so hopefully he will do it that way, because I would rather not be catherized. Do you know what the treatment is if I am not emptying my bladder all the way? Take care!
grouphug

Nicole in ATL
03-15-2004, 05:22 AM
My physical therapist reccomends "double voiding". After you are finished peeing, gently rock side to side and back to front (while still sitting on toilet) several times. Relax and then try to pee again. Don't push or strain.

Nicole

HillaryD
03-15-2004, 05:36 AM
Nicole,
That is a good idea as well, I will definately give it a try. Thanks for your help!
grouphug

Dixiefireball
03-15-2004, 05:47 AM
here is what i do get get the urine out i have to stand up and just bend over just a little and that seems to help the urine come out
second thing I will try is sit in a warm tub of water and let it come out then take a shower and wash the tub well.
if all comes to wrose i take dmso at home i will cath my self to make it come out.
but truly the only way i feel it comes all out is when i cath my self. :o eek
i hope this helps some.
praying for you to have a better tomorrow. angel
Rhonda

HillaryD
03-15-2004, 05:59 AM
Rhonda,
Let me thank you for that advice! I can't believe all of the responses I have gotten, I can't express my appreciation enough!
grouphug

ICNDonna
03-15-2004, 07:12 AM
There are several different medications that can help you to relax so you can urinate. Most of them are also used for men who have this problem, but they work for women too. The ones that immediately come to mind are hytrin, curdura, flomax --- I know there are others.

Warm hugs,
Donna

sleepyangel30
03-15-2004, 08:33 AM
I was reading somewhere about that IC makes the bladder shink and that it make it where you can't hold much urine.

emilyrose197377
05-26-2005, 03:37 AM
200cc's is left in my bladder after I urinate. my uro did a test on my bladder that showed that is that bad?

Hangin' Tough
05-26-2005, 06:45 AM
I also have post void retention as a symptom of my IC, I also retain up to 200cc's post void. The uro said that is probably because my bladder has shrunken and the walls have thickened and atrophied (stiffened). It sounds like a viable diagnosis, he said that this is something that IC can do. I'll take his word for it, no other doc has told me differently. Have a great day.

Steve