PDA

View Full Version : stop and start urination?

chris7
07-04-2005, 10:20 AM
When I urinate I often go a little bit and then it stops, but I take a deep breath and let the breath out and start to go some more. This usually happens about 3 times before i'm pretty sure my bladders empty. I have never had retention, and I don't think that's what this is, but why do I start and stop instead of just letting all out at once?

tbokay
07-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Last July, it was noted that I didn't empty my bladder completely when I urinated. My first urologist said my urethra was narrowed and stretched it. That seemed to help for a while. He said some people do well with one stretch/dilation - while others need it more often ... that would be me. I've had that done in July, Oct, and Dec. I haven't seen that urologist since Dec but will ask my new uro/gyn about having this done as I feel like my stream has weakened which to me indicates I am narrowing again. Ask your urologist about this ... but before they do it, ask for Uritact or Pyridium first - cuz that first urination hurts/burns as the urethra has been stretched/torn.
Good Luck!

theoutlaw77
07-06-2005, 07:02 AM
This happens to me all the time too! I was going to post about it, but you beat me to it. What happens to me is that it takes a very long time to start the flow. Then, right after it starts my muscles or bladder or whatever it is sort of tenses up and stops the flow. It is the same thing as if I would stop the flow on purpose, but it is involuntary! Is this a bladder spasm? I had a urodynamics test and I am not retaining, and no one said anything about PFD. I also never have any leaking. This drives me crazy!! This happens about 3 times before it all comes out!!

Hangin' Tough
07-06-2005, 07:56 AM
I have found it very difficult to start a flow, and once it starts the burning makes me tense my muscles and the flow stops. I can sometimes turn the water on in the sink or shower and it will relax me enough that I can get the flow started again. I sometimes have to actually get in the shower, if the running water or sitting on the toilet doesn't work.
Last week, nothing worked so I ended up cathing myself. This was the first time and I was a little apprehesive, but the worrying was worse than the procedure itself and the relief was blessed. I will not be waiting as long the next time I have that problem. By the way, I used LoFric and they are wonderful. I now have one in each vehicle, one in my briefcase and one in my desk just in case.
I think that many ICers have this problem because of pain and pelvic muscle spasms. Some muscle relaxers do help with this. I currently take Dantrium and it seemed to work for a long time, maybe the doc needs to up my dose. Anyway, you are not alone in this department by any stretch of the imagination. Have a great day, and I hope you get your flow back.

Steve

mags
07-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I have also had this problem. I have trouble starting to urinate and sometimes feel like i don't empty my bladder. It is very annoying!! :headbang: But i don't know what to do about it.

windwalker
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I HAD this problem, but I realized I was pushing to urinate most of the time, when I stoped that, mind you it took a while, the stop n starts lessened greatly, now I get them only if I have a flare.

lorie-belle
07-08-2005, 01:24 AM
I have had this for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it takes me forever to start urinating, at its worst, over a minute. I usually stop and go between two to five times. it's really annoying. I have found that since I have been on oxytrol (patch) {and this is the only med i've been on for this**, that it doesn't happen as often. More so, just when i'm having a bad day. I am also in th eprocess of learning to hold it for a bit when I have to go. To see if I can hold it longer, unless it hurts then I won't. I find a bad habit I have to break, is going to the bathroom just because (i'm leaving somewhere), in case I have to go later, when meanwhile I don't even have to go. It's a psychological thing, i think? :bonk:

tbokay
07-09-2005, 04:42 AM
I'm one of those that knows where every bathroom is in every store or restaurant. I will go to the bathroom before leaving the house ... but almost always will end up going at the store too. My mom used to laugh at me as a kid cuz I would go in every store - even if I just went 10 min ago at the other store. They used to joke that I was the bathroom monitor - and had to make sure it was in order.

Also - I tried to explain to my primary once how I can sit on the toilet and try and try and try and try to urinate and it's difficult. Then I left her office and came up with a good visual. You know the long skinny balloons that (atleast for me) are hard to blow up? You stretch it, blow and just as you start to inflate it, you have to take another breath - lose all the air and have to start over. Eventually you get the balloon to blow up - or give up and get the air pump.

I think this is how I urinate. I strain to start and just when I can feel the urine start to enter the urethra, I have to relax and all the urine goes back into the bladder - and I have to start all over again. Eventually either I can finally get it out and then it's easy to release the rest .. or I give up and get the catheter.

Is that a good discription? or do I have too much time on my hands as I sit on the toilet and think of ways to get the doc and other people to understand what I am going thru?

green_the_fish
07-09-2005, 05:13 AM
Oh yeah, I've had this problem ever since my symptoms started in August of last year. I dunno why it happens, but I think it's slowly been improving these past few months. Back around October, I was retaining small amounts often and when I urinated, I had to push out like I was trying to pee a marble! That was no fun. I have been making a concious effort to void my bladder completely and not strain my urine, this seems to have helped me. However, sometimes I resprt to using my hands to massage my bladder in order for me to urinate. When I'm at home and I just can't seem to empty my bladder, I jump to my tub and run hot water over my urethra. I think the shock of the hot water induces a spasm somehow, and allows the trapped urine to get out. I'm not really sure what the cause of this problem is. I think it might be PFD related, since there's already one lady who thinks I may have an issue there.
Well, I hope that was not TMI (Too Much Information!) :lmao: