PDA

View Full Version : Feeling LIke A Zombie On Hydroxyzine

ICPrincess
06-28-2005, 11:15 AM
I had the Hydrodistention done in late April and unfortunately, it did nothing and yet it put me in full remission years and years ago when this first started for me so go figure (In fact, had I not come here, I would not have realized that this horrible nightmarish thing can come back again as it did for me last November. :(

They are starting me on Elavil 10MG and Hydroxyzine 10MG (I have ordered the Aloe Vera and Cystoprotec from ICN so hopefully that will help me since I am allergic to Sulfa and can't take Elmiron....not that I could have afforded it anyway). I took the Hydroxyzine the other day (without trying the Elavil with it) and I felt like a walking Zombie. I was so out of it the next day and felt listless and oversedated (and not the good kind of sedated either). I know the feeling was not due to the Elavil as I had not tried it yet. Yesterday, I took the Elavil at 5PM and got a bad headache but it actually seemed to make a little bit of a difference in just one pill. I got a little sleepy but not out of it or heavily sedated. I took the Hydroxyzine at 11PM last night and had a hard time getting out of bed today! I was out of it and feeling like a drone. I was unemotional and just dead pan (not like me at all). It was awful. I have heard so many good things about Hydroxyzine that I am stunned by my reaction to it. Did anyone else feel this way....like you are so out of it that even the next day you feel it all day? I am only on 10MG and not a lightweight to meds. I take Percocet for really bad flares and it does not do this to me (I also had been taking a fair amount of Bendaryl and it did not do this to me the next day).

Any feedback guys? I am thinking of sticking to the Elavil in small does and trying the Bendaryl in conjunction with it instead of the Hydroxyzine (and of course I am praying that the Aloe Vera and Cystoprotec help me here).

megancolleen
06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I just started on hydroxyzine a few days ago, and I, too, feel very lethargic and am sleeping 10 hours a night, which is very unlike me. "In a fog" is an apt description. I've heard that feeling goes away after a while, though...let's hope so.

mom_in_ma
06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I had the same reaction to Hydroxyzine. In fact, I stopped taking it because of the side effects. I use Allegra now and it's working for me.

DanaW
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
I think I felt that in the beginning. (I have been on it for a year and 9 mo) A lot of the meds will do that at the beginning. You may want to give it a couple of weeks, at least to see if you get used to it. I only take it at night, before bed and I take 40 mgs. If this is your first sedating medication your body will have to adjust. Good luck! Dana

dyno
06-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I felt that way at first but within a week or so my body got used to it and I won't be without it now.

pottywoman
06-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I felt like that in beginning also but it got to where it did not bother me anymore. (Still can not take it during the day). It did get to the point too where morning was the only time the pain was better until I got up. Some days I wished I could stay in bed. I take 100 mgs now. Have been for many years.

SrMaggie
06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I try to take the sedatives early enough that there are at least 8 hours before I want to get up. I take Ambien and Hydroxz... Sometimes I take it about 1 hour before I get in bed to be sure I'm really sleepy when I hit the pillow. A couple of times when I've take it early I went on line for a little IMing with my sister and she told me the next day that I had written some really bizarre things. I guess I don't fully realize what those meds can do. The most I've actually slept through is 6 hours. Then I wake up to pee and go back to sleep for another hour. I usually do that 2 or 3 times before it's really time to get up and get going. I haven't felt the drowsiness regularly for awhile now - I say that because yesterday, I was very listless besides having these little spasms that I was feeling in my urethra. That hurt.

classics
06-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I tried Hydroxizine, but it made my existing dizzy problem worse. I already have some sort of positional vertigo problem, so this drug made it worse. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take it long enough to see if he helped the I.C.

trytosmile
06-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I am on Hydroxyzine and it does the same to me and I am on a very low dosage. Yes, walking zombie is the best way to describe how I feel. I take at night as I can't during the day. Mornings are so hard for me and I don't start to feel any life until around 5:00 in the afternoon and then it is almost time to take it again. I have been on it for close to two years and there has never been any changes during the time I've taken it, walking zombie ever since the first pill.

I also take Elavil (amtryptline) each night. Again cannot take during the day and on a low dosage. It's purpose is to help me sleep. LOL, I either sleep like a rock or don't sleep at all, right now I'm going through the don't sleep at all days.

:headbang:

ICPrincess
06-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond as you did. I was trying to figure out why I was having this reaction but I see I am not alone. I guess you might get used to it eventually but I hate the feeling on this medicine. I too get a little Vertigo here and there when my allergies flare up so I don't need any more spinning...lol...

Trytosmile, you and I seem to have the same genetic make up here....you seem to react the way I am with both this and Elavil. I am waiting on my Aloe Vera and Cystoprotec and praying they help (I have heard that both can be amazing and focus on helping the actual problem rather then just treating the symptooms). I think I may opt to stick to Bendaryl and Elavil for now and leave the Hydroxyzine alone unless I just can't help it anymore and have to cave in and give it another try. That stuff is unreal to me the way it makes you feel. I felt like I was doing everything under water...everything is slow and heavy.

Hangin' Tough
07-06-2005, 03:03 AM
I could not take hydroxizine either, even at the lowest dose. It left me very cloudy and tired the next day. The doctor finally discontinued it, thank God.

Steve

sister
07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
A lot of people react to antihistimines that way. Benadryl knocks me flat on my butt and I can feel the effects for a day after I take it.

The hydroxizine..well..it works great for me. I take it at night and feel fine the next day. No problems.

Weird.

I couldn't take elavil either (made me *weird*)

EDITED!!!!:

OOOhhh...I am really dumb. I take it in combination with Wellbutrin. I take the Wellbutrin in the morning and THAT is why I feel fine. (it perks me up) Not because I have no foggy antihistimine issues. I just realised that. :loco:

mayray518
07-10-2005, 04:20 AM
I was on hydroxyzine for a year and it did make me drowsy and helped a little bit. I then switched to elavil. I was on 50 mg for 4 months before I noticed a difference and then it was like a miracle. I went from peeing to 40 times a day to 3. I hated the side effect, I was tired all day, but I kept up with it as I could not take the IC pain any longer. I am now down to 5 mg of elavil. it is still working and I have no side effects. Maybe you can wean yourself down gradually as I did.

vm
07-10-2005, 06:49 AM
It took my body a few days to a week to adjust to the hydroxyzine, also.

I saw you mentioned that you are allergic to sulfa so can't take Elmiron. There are lots of us who are allergic to sulfa drugs who take Elmiron. It is a different ingredient. I break out in an all over body rash on sulfa - but haven't had any problems on Elmiron.

And maybe you've tried it and had a bad reaction already, but I thought I'd throw that out there in case you hadn't.

Question:

Is sulfa the same as sulphate? Would a person who is allergic to sulfa antibiotics also be allergic to dietary supplements containing sulfate? What are the signs and symptoms of sulfa allergy?

Jerry / Ohio

Answer:

Sulfa isn't the same as sulfate. Sulfa is short for sulfamethoxazole. Some people are allergic to sulfa antibiotics such as sulfamethoxazole, which is found in the combination antibiotics Bactrim and Septra. Sulfate, also spelled sulphate, is a chemical term that identifies specific salts containing sulfur. Sulfur is a mineral that's found naturally in animal protein (including meat, poultry, fish and eggs), dried beans and other vegetables. Sulfa antibiotics don't contain sulfates.

For these reasons, people who are allergic to sulfa antibiotics wouldn't be allergic to dietary supplements containing sulfates. The most common allergic reaction to sulfa drugs is a skin rash. There's no reliable test for allergy to sulfa antibiotics. A doctor may make a diagnosis of sulfa allergy based on the signs and symptoms.

http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthreference/reference/0093B28E-3725-4C05-A5E858D1C7C6B87F.htm?category=7025

Imustpee
07-10-2005, 08:44 AM
I started hydrox in Jan at 50 mgs at bedtime..I slept for 15 hours and was drugged all day...I tried this for 4 days with the same results..I called my uro and he dropped my dose to 25mgs at night...much better..

classics
07-10-2005, 09:09 AM
VM

Thanks for posting the difference between Sulfa and Sulfate. I notice there is a lot of confusion on here about those two. Like many, I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, (septra, etc.).

chainsaw
07-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi All,

chainsaw
07-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi All,

I am taking Hydroxyzine (25 MG) nightly. I was without some for a few months (I kept forgetting to call the doctor to get a new prescription) and when I finally started taking it again, for the first few nights, I was VERY tired and could hardly wake up. But now since I have been back on it for a week, I am doing better. I am not as sleepy or tired. It takes awhile to get into your system.

Kim

ellienor
07-13-2005, 06:13 AM
I thought the only anti histamines that would help us are adarzax and visterol?
Will the others without the drozy side effects help too?
one is
zyrtec.
should I ask for that instead??

Also, it sounds as though we may not need anti hist and elavil.
is eleval enough?

ellienor
07-13-2005, 01:34 PM
hi!

has the Aloe Vera and Cystoprotec helped you?
I am waiting on them too.
did they upset your stomach?

ellienor
07-13-2005, 01:37 PM
mayray518

are you taking something to coat the bladder too, or just elavil?

Bianchi
07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Cant take hydroxyzine either, same effect as some of you, zombie-like, even the next day. So I am sticking with just Elavil, it seems to work for me. Has reduced my getting up at night tremendously.
Bianchi

ICPrincess
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
I am almost afraid to post this because I don't want to jinx myself but I think the Aloe Gel and Cystoprotec are helping! I gave in and said what the hell. I decided I would take the Aloe gel and Cystoprotek at the same time because I want to get better as soon as possible, I also figured that I can afford the gel at $20.00 for a months supply of the Aloe Gel even if it turns out its really the Cystoprotek that is helping more (Plus Aloe helps cholesterol, disgestion problems, IBS etc so it can't hurt). Its only been a few days but I feel a little better. It could be just a good few days so I will have to touch base in a week and let you know. I had a large glass of Classic Coke today because I was so thirsty and it looked so good. We were out and about and it was so hot. I waited for the typical blast to come but it didn't (watch...now that I have said this all hell will break loose and I will be in pain but for now, all's quiet on the bladder front). I think they are both helping! I must say that my fiancee doesn't have a problem with the Aloe Gel as much as I do (He is taking it with me because he has some digestive stuff every now and then and has heard it's good for all kinds of stuff). It has this yucky taste but it's not horrid...just ugh....you wanna chase it down quickly (at least I do though he chases it with nothing.... drinks it down no problem)!

I think the fact that it is so thick and is a gel rather then juice or tablets, it holds onto the bladder longer and coats it more on the way out. I am liking it so far.

I was dissapointed though today to find that Hydroxyzine Pamoate (Vistaril) does not come in anything smaller then 25MG :(

My urologist wrote me a script for it because the Atarax knocked me on my butt at 10MG and now I find that the other that is supposed to be better comes at 25 MG as the lowest option. Well, I guess I will give the Hydroxyzine HCI (Atarax) one more try (tablet is so tiny I don't know how I will get it to break and the stuff makes me feel like I am walking through water). I am taking the elavil sporadically so I will buckle down next week and start that regularly (Though that stuff makes you feel like night of the living dead too). I guess I have a choice. I can be in pain and be alert or pain free and incoherent. So many choices....so little time...what to do...lol.... :help:

toniosnana
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
hi sister, i was just given prescriptions for both elavil and atarax by my urologist.
i also take wellbutrin sr like you do. did your psychiatrist say it was okay to take both the elavil and the wellbutrin? my uro said it was okay, but i don't feel comfortable about it. my psychiatrist is out of town so i can't ask him yet.
what was your experience? so you think the atarax works for you because of the wellbutrin? what dosage do you take? i take 200 mg a day.

classics
07-19-2005, 01:18 PM
hi sister, i was just given prescriptions for both elavil and atarax by my urologist.
i also take wellbutrin sr like you do. did your psychiatrist say it was okay to take both the elavil and the wellbutrin? my uro said it was okay, but i don't feel comfortable about it. my psychiatrist is out of town so i can't ask him yet.
what was your experience? so you think the atarax works for you because of the wellbutrin? what dosage do you take? i take 200 mg a day.

It might be better if you ask your pharmacist about the drugs your are taking and their interactions. Pharmacists usually know more about drugs.

tigger_gal
07-20-2005, 04:15 AM
I take 75 mg of hydroxizine anight and an ambien.. I still get up 2 times a night to void and most of the time fall right back to sleep.. there are days I just don't want to get out of bed.. maybe only take 1/2 ov it of when you can dedicate the time to sleep longer, but, I guess thats hard to do when you have lil ones or have to work..
Good luck
Brat

sister
07-20-2005, 02:35 PM

I don't take elavil. They took me off it very quickly as I had weird symptoms. I don't really know about taking them both. I didn't like Elavil but it is one of the first things they try so it has to work for a lot of people.

I am not sure about mixing them...I don't react well to many anti-depressants so my experiences with many of them is bad. Wellbutrin is the first thing I haven't had issues with.

I take 300 mg of wellbutrin and 25 mg of atarax. The Wellbutrin is probably helping the sleepiness since it makes me awake.

MotherSaguaro
07-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Thank Goodness for this thread!!

I have been taking Hydroxyzine for a month and a half. I have been sooo incredibly fatigued and zombie like. I decided to take a look here today to see if this antihistamine could be causing me this problem. Drat!! I feel sedated all of the time. It is horrible. I guess I should see about discontinuing and trying something different. Why does is take me so darned long to put two and two together sometimes!

Amy

SrMaggie
07-31-2005, 03:43 PM
My biggest side effect is dry mouth. I was eating a sandwich today and couldn't contine eating, until I could get some water. It dried up in between bites, if that makes sense.
I am grateful that it has a sedating effect. There have been some bizarre things that happened at work and if I had been my non-sedated self, I probably would have gone off the deep end. Instead, I took everything in stride and most of it has turned out fine.

ellienor
07-31-2005, 03:55 PM
atarax gives me a headache within 10 minutes of taking 5 mg.
Plus it gives me insomnia!
I stopped taking it 5 days ago.

ICPrincess
07-31-2005, 07:16 PM
I hated the feeling. I stopped and went back to Bendaryl. I take that and it calms me down, helps me to fall asleep and helps my allergies. It also reduces mast cells on the bladder (just not as powerful as Hydroxyzone). The Hydroxyzine made my heart race, gave me a headache and made me feel like night of the living dead all the next day. Elavil does this too but at least the Elavil seems to help without so many unpleasant side effects all at once. I do get a little stuff with the Elavil but the other is through the roof. Not worth going through for me. :(

MotherSaguaro
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Well...I found out today that I have been taking the generic for Vistiral when I called the doc to let her know about the horrible fatigue. She wants to try me on Atarax at the lowest dosage. I don't even know if I am willing to try it. The 25mgs of Vistiral made not only physically miserable but exaccerbated my depression, NOT A GOOD THING. I go in on Wednesday for my last DMSO instillation, maybe I will just wait and speak with her in person.

Anyone who has had problems with this med experience an improvement with a lower dosage?

ellienor
08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
you could ask her for some samples of the Atarax.
Or perscribe 3 pills and dont run them thru insurance and co-pay, just pay for them yourself.
They are cheap.
I dont know... the first couple of times i took them, they made me feel weird and got a headache.
then the headache went away and I think they started to give me a terrible stomach ache and maybe heartburn too.
I only took 5 mg at the most at a time.
Did not help me to sleep.

MotherSaguaro
08-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your reply ellienor!

I suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome in addition to everything else. Benadryl sends me through the roof. While I was looking up info on Atarax I ran across info in various places that says that Atarax and Vistaril can do the same. I have noticed an increase in symptoms and have not been sleeping well. I see my neuro tomorrow and will ask her and then speak to my urologist's nurse when I see her on Wednesday. In the meantime I am just not going to fill the script and give my body and brain a break. If I decide to try the lower dosage I am going to take your advice and ask for samples or a small script.

Just not feeling like I can win right now.

mags
08-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Has anyone here tried Zyrtec? It is supposed to be close to atarax, but not as sedating. I only found this out while reading about zyrtec and under reactions it said : not to take zyrtec if you have had a bad reaction to atarax. So they must be similar in some way.

superpam4
08-02-2005, 06:28 PM
What is Elavil and how does it help? My Dr. never mentioned it to me. And what about the hydroxyine? What does it improve if you are able to tolerate the side effects?

ellienor
08-03-2005, 01:38 AM
read this:
Really bad side effects on Zertec AND a re-bound effect, as is with all antihistamines.
You cant get off of them once you start, just like heartburn meds.

Dont know if getting off of antihistamines would cause bladder pain re bound or not....
but read all these:

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=19835&name=ZYRTEC

Arent there natural antihistamines we can take?
I know vit c is one,, however I find that ester C does not bother my bladder and my help with the histimine natrually.

mags
08-03-2005, 02:42 AM
i took zyrtec before i had ic for allergies among other antihistimines and i never had any type of reaction when stopping them.

Elle
08-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I've taken Zyrtec, Allegra...pretty much all of the typical-type antihistimines...at various times in my life and have never had a problem coming off of them. The only problem that I have with the non-sedating ones is that they give me a horrible headache while taking them. But, I've never had a problem coming off of them either.

Babs RN
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Pam,
Elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant which in low doses is used for chronic pain. As far as Atarax, it is the hydrocholoride version of hydroxizine and typically comes in a tiny pill form. Vistaril is hydroxizine pamoate and comes in capsule form. Same basic med, different methods of delivery and additives.

Hugs,
Barb

superpam4
08-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for getting back to me, but I'm still a little confused as to how they work and what they are supposed to do to help.

ICPrincess
08-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey Pam,

The Atarax and Vistaril (Both Hydroxyzine) are powerful antihistamines. Because IC patients have an unusually high amount of mast cells in our bladders (which are created when histamines are released into our systems and amass in certain organs the most), thesedrugs help because they reduce the histamine levels and that helps to relax the bladder a little.

The Elavil knocks out the awful, nagging chronic pain associated with IC. It begins to block nerve impulses and eventually you don't feel the pain (or it at least lessens in to a great deal in many people who have used it). It also relaxes the Bladder from spasming a tiny but as well. The problem with both is that they make you very tired and a bit zombie like (cloudy and somewhat forgetful even). Some say these affects wear off as you get used to the drugs more. I am going to try continuing on Elavil but the Hydroxyzine I had to pass on. I react badly with this one. I tried asking for Vistaril as I had heard that is easier on the system a little then Atarax but found that the smallest milligram available was 25! I was having a rough time of it with the 10MG as is so finding that I would have to switch to a higher dosage of this drug to try the other brand was not worth it to me. Now if I can't get the pain under cntrol and I am miserable, I may try biting the bullet and go back to trying the Atarax once again but for now its Aloe Vera gel, Cystoprotec and Elavil for me. Hope this helps. Good Luck :)

MotherSaguaro
08-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Talked to my pharmicist yesterday...he confirmed that Vistaril and Atarax are basically the same med. He said that the salts that they are compounded with are different, I believe. He also said that Vistaril is used mainly as a sedative. Next time a doctor hands me a script that I am unfamiliar with I am going to look it before I fill it. I am really disappointed because I have bad reactions to two of the main meds that are used to treat the pain of IC. Elavil and Vistaril are not good meds for me.

toniosnana
08-05-2005, 06:32 AM
ic princess, tell me more about the aloe vera gel you take. i've heard from others that it helps them as well. but i could swear that i read somewhere that it is a bladder irritant and that is why people take that aloe supplement by Dessert Harvest. supposedly, the way it's made makes it safe for the bladder.
i'm currently on elmiron and hydroxyzine and i pop Prelief all day long too. i use pyridium plus every so often too. i'm supposed to start elavil but i'd rather not. if i can find at least one "natural" way to feel better that's the route i'd rather take. currently, my biggest problem is frequency and urgency. i'm virtually pain free at this point and if i do have pain it's mild (thank God!)

er

mags
08-05-2005, 10:03 AM
my biggest problem is frequency and urgency also, so if anyone finds something that helps this i would love to know.

ICPrincess
08-05-2005, 04:59 PM
I am back to "Lily Of The Desert" Whole leaf Aloe Gel (Its only $20.55 and will last a month)! LIke so many others, the Desert Harvest pills made my frequency and urgency go way up. I was so hoping they would work for me but I had the same reaction (Plus there is no way I could afford the $100.00 plus dollars a month to use as directed). I tried George's but no way will I ever buy that again (I'll just leave it at that for George's...big mistake but fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me and that won't be happening again).

I was worried about the citric acid used as a preservative for pretty much all Aloe Gel and juice, but realized after doing some research, the gel and juice would make us ill if it did not have this in it to keep it preserved and fresh. It's also not a big amount. I guess I feel the benefit of the pure Aloe Gel washing around my bladder will outweigh the downside which is that there is some citric acid in it. I would rather have the pure form which is the gel or juice rather then a pill anyway (but that's just my own feeling). Also, I can afford $20.55 a month. We noticed right away (my fiancee is using it too because he found it was major hlep to him with some gastro stuff he gets) that it makes an impact almost immediately. My stomach felt so at peace and I could actually eat a little ice cream without blowing up and feeling awful (It is known to help IBS patients immensely but what surprised me when looking around is how much AIDS patients rely on Aloe..I had no clue there)! I also like that it lowers cholesterol, has been proven to aid in lowering blood sugar and helps with heart stuff so I will stick with the Aloe even if I am finally able to get my IC in remission.

Hope that helps (also just enter Aloe vera into the search engine of this site and you can read all about what everyone has to say on the matter...it will help you out). :)

P.S. The only thing I had heard from a few members was that the Vistaril is better tolerated because it has less aggravating fillers etc but I still was unable to tolerate it. Elavil makes me feel fuzzy but I am willing to give that one a try because it is prescribed for Vulvodynia, IC and IBS which I am so lucky to have all three.....I'm just so special...lol).

libby loo
08-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but wanted to chime in that I am on Vistaril and walk around in a coma till about 8pm. I take 25 mg at bedtime. I am hoping that the side effects go away soon because I think it really is helping. I am also on effexor xr and it makes me sleepy too.

At least I am getting enough rest these days lol

ellienor
08-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but wanted to chime in that I am on Vistaril and walk around in a coma till about 8pm. I take 25 mg at bedtime. I am hoping that the side effects go away soon because I think it really is helping. I am also on effexor xr and it makes me sleepy too.

At least I am getting enough rest these days lol

How long did it take to start helping you???

libby loo
08-08-2005, 09:23 AM
How long did it take to start helping you???

Well I would say I noticed some change within a couple of weeks. But I have also made some drastic changes in my diet so that may be a large part of it. I think it's all a part of my "what works" plan. I don't want to mess with any part of it if I don't have to, kwim? lol

mayray518
08-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah I was on atarax and felt like a zombie also. When I started on 50 mg. of elavil I felt like a zombie but continued on it; I was so desperate. I am glad I did. it worked on my IC and I am now down to 5 mg (7 years later) and it is still working. Sometimes we have to take the bitter with the sweet.

ellienor
08-10-2005, 01:54 AM
If I took 50 mg. of elavil , I would be dead, no doubt in my mind.

My stomach is very very upset, pains, constant pain, tightness, tenderness to the touch, no appetite, up all night with it.
I dont know if it is the elavil, atarax or the Proteck.
Anyone had stomach problems get worse from these things?
thanks.

toniosnana
08-10-2005, 04:02 AM
mayray, are you still on the atarax? i'm on the generic (25 mg) of it and after a week of the sleepy side effects (this was the only side effect i have experienced), it was gone. only, now it is not even helping me sleep at night. i'm back to waking up and voiding several times a night. it's been 3 weeks today since i started on the hydroxyzine and i haven't noticed any changes in my symptoms.
i have a prescription for 25mg of elavil, but i hesitate to get it filled and start taking it.
i mean, if i start to feel better, how will i know if it's the hydroxyzine or the elavil?
this is all so frustrating!
er

Suzytoo
08-10-2005, 05:48 AM
:headbang:
I started hydrox in Jan at 50 mgs at bedtime..I slept for 15 hours and was drugged all day...I tried this for 4 days with the same results..I called my uro and he dropped my dose to 25mgs at night...much better..
I just ask my doctor to try some and he said If you want to try you can if you can stay awake. Everything I throw at him he shoots down. He said hydroxizine,vistaril and alarax all the same. what about lidicaine? That's just a topical cream and your problem is inside right? I don't care if it gives me some relief.Then he wants to do more DMSO. Well that doesn't work either. :bonk:

ellienor
08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
ER:
better tip toe into the elavil.

The first time i took it i broke a 10 mg pill in half and took it at 7:30 pm.
along with only 5 mg of Atarax.
I was so drugged the next day i had to not work at all and i felt like i was dying.
headache, heavy chest.. burning eyes,, awful, and i didnt sleep well believe it or not.

I stopped the elavil temporarily, but the atarax seemed to get me out of a flair.
So, 5 days ago I decided to give elavil another try. I take 1/4 pill with dinner, and so far so good. they seem to help a little and i can function.
I will up my dosage slowly till I get up to 10 mg.
This seems to help alot of people, and because i am only 3 months into this, it may work, along with the other stuff i am doing.
Elavil is very powerful and toxic,, but at this point i dont care.

emilyrose197377
08-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I take 50 mg of elavil at night and I don't feel like a zombie at all . It took time for my body to get used to it . My dr. has me on the hydroxyazine hcl now 25 mg twice a day .

Kim

toniosnana
08-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the tip ellienor. I think I'm going to wait until the end of the month when I'm off work for a week. This way, if I go bonkers I don't have to worry about work! Also, I should be able to tell by then if the hydroxyzine is helping or not.
I know a couple of women who have taken elavil for depression purposes only and they said it worked well for them. Minimal side effects at first then they were okay. Their dosage was much higher than what we are prescribed for treatment of ic.
I'm hoping I'll be like them and not react badly. We'll see....
Hope things go well with you as you up your dosage. Let me know how you're doing k?

er

toniosnana
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Kim, how long did it take for you to get used to the 50mg of elavil? Your'e also taking 2x as much of hydroxyzine as i am! wow!
so, is it all working for ya?

er

emilyrose197377
08-10-2005, 03:10 PM
I haven't started the hydoxyzine yet my dr. just prescribed it today . I will take it tonight with my elavil . It took a couple of weeks to get use to 50 mg. of elavil.

Kim

tulsateacher
08-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Not to be nosy, but have you tried the Elmiron and know that you react to it?
I am also allergic to sulfa and it has been fine with me.

emilyrose197377
08-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Tulsa, if your asking me no I can't take elmiron I was on it for a month and it caused my ulcer to bleed in my stomach. It messed up my stomach really bad .

Kim

Suzytoo
08-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Princess, What happen when you took the George's? I just bought some and also some almond milk. I've just started taking today.I was burning some and thought I'd give it a try.

jeanmary
08-14-2005, 09:09 AM
IT's Sunday, called my primary care doctor for help, she was not on call this weekend. Could not get my urethral spasms to stop after hydro/dilation on Thursday. Vicodin and B&O supositories gave me a real anxiety attack but my uro said he could not help me with "those issues" and said call primary care doc and maybe they could help. So... the doc on call said "why don't you try some Bendry, it works to constrict the tiny muscle between the bladder and urethra" otherwise I would have to go to the Urgent Care Clinic to get a script for hycosimine or some type of muscle relaxant. Guess what, it's not perfect but the spasms are greaty diminished and I am thankful. I wonder why my uro didn't think of this? It does make me somewhat sleepy but I will take that over the horrible spasms any day. Plus I did not sleep at all last night so maybe a nap is in order..
Jean

SrMaggie
08-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Be good to yourself - TAKE A NAP!!! You owe it to yourself to help you feel better. Most the time it's no use fighting sleep induced by medication. You end up doing things with less attention than you would if you just took some time to sleep it off.
Our bodies sometimes can make themselves heard in such a big way - with pain.
Blessings.

Suzytoo
08-16-2005, 07:09 AM
uro gave me 25 m of hydroxizine. I broke the capsules and sprinkled just a little of it in water. I had crazy dreams all night. woke up with a headache and was very tired. Don't think I can take it. Does benydryl do the same. It will probably make me sleepy too.

jeanmary
08-16-2005, 09:24 AM
I have found that when the Benedryl is kicking in and making me sleepy, I get up and move around or try really hard to consentrate on something I am reading. My spasms were so disturbing to me that fighting the side effects of Benedryl was a welcome issue. It has been recommended to me to try childrens Benedryl for a less sedating effect.
On the issue of lidocaine becoming ineffective, that is new to me. I don't have to use it daily but I have used it for over a year and it still helps. It may after awhile cause some skin irritation with some. I have a bidet in my bathroom and I use it each time I urinate and carry a rinse bottle with me when I am out . Hope this ideas help and you feel better soon! :rolleyes:
Jean

ellienor
08-16-2005, 10:24 AM
uro gave me 25 m of hydroxizine. I broke the capsules and sprinkled just a little of it in water. I had crazy dreams all night. woke up with a headache and was very tired. Don't think I can take it. Does benydryl do the same. It will probably make me sleepy too.

try doing much less hydroxizine for a while. About 3-5 mg is plenty.
Take it at 5:00 with dinner.
This will stop the dreams.
I take 2 mg with dinner and now,, 2 more mg about 7:30 with a light snack.
If i take it later, it gives me the heebee jeebies all night.
I think is is helping me.

emilyrose197377
08-16-2005, 11:45 AM
how can you take that small of amount I don't think hydroxyzine comes in that doseage.

Kim

ellienor
08-16-2005, 12:11 PM
I have 5 mg round tablets. It is easy to cut them in half.
PUt a sharp knife in the middle..
Tap the knife with a heavy spoon.
breaks it pretty clean.
there are also pill breakeers you can get.

emilyrose197377
08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Mine are 25 mg. so mine would be 12.5 cut in half.

Bianchi
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I now can't take atarax any more. it made me sleepy initially, but now after a little sleepiness, I get hyper and have insomnia, cannot sleep at all. I even tried cutting the pill in half. Doesnt matter, so I guess I will quit it for a while.
Bianchi

ICPrincess
08-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Update on Hydroxyzine (since I started this thread thought I would give you guys an update).

I decided to bite the bullet and give the Hydroxyzine another try because the pain has been mind numbing lately. I have tried the Elavil before and it kinda helped but no big difference. I am back on it again this past week but still....just a tiny bit of relief (Of course it may be that I need to increase the dosage but the heart related stuff that can happen totally spooks me with Elavil). I began taking the Hydroxyzine again the past few days (Its the only time I took it for more then a day or two) and I can totally feel a difference here. Its the only thing so far that really has seemed to make a difference. It's odd but in only a few days I can feel a difference for the better. I decided to take it in the afternoon rather then at night and it seems to work out perfect for me, For some reason, I am not as zombied out as I was initially and any jittery stuff has worked itself out by nightfall (then I take a 1/2 a Xanax to fall asleep and that always helps).

I decided to just throw caution to the wind tonight and I made my famous Spaghetti (which we all missed so much..most of all me). I just couldn't stand not having Spaghetti because it is so good for you and leaves you so full and with so much energy. I know tomato's are a no no but I took 4 Prelief and sprinkled quite a bit of that PH Control I bought here, on the spaghetti and with the Atarax, I am not flaring. Usually, I flare right away or within a few hours and so far....nothing. I suppose tomorrow could be another day but usually I flare right away if I am going to. I also remember times earlier on when I would eat Spaghetti and not really flare (or flare lightly). When I eat Hot Wings or Pizza for some reason, then I am in hell so I do not do that anymore. Its odd how that works with the Spaghetti. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience with the variation of tomato stuff? I am also wondering if that Atarax has made the difference (though I did take 4 preliefs as well).

I am going to try sticking with the Atarax and Elavil though I feel like the Atarax is making the difference with the Elavil being very secondary. Guess its a good thing I decided to give it another try. We'll see how it goes.....

P.S. Also taking the Real Aloe Company Gel and L"Arginine (a few Cystoproteks here and there but not consistently).

vm
08-23-2005, 12:48 AM
I think it's good that you are sticking with the Elavil even though it only makes a small difference. For me, I needed a cumulative effect of several meds. In isolation - each med only helped a little bit. Taken all together they make a HUGE difference.

ellienor
08-23-2005, 01:50 AM
how much arginine are you taking, and for how long?

SrMaggie
08-23-2005, 03:00 AM
I stopped taking Elavil because of the increased appetite. I was craving sweets. I would go the drug store and get boxes of the 'movie candy' and eat a whole box or two each day. Now, all I can tolerate is 3 or 4 pieces over the course of the day. Now, I have the challenge of losing the weight I gained with Elavil. I can't figure how the hydroxzine when to take it so I don't feel drowsy.
Yesterday it was so hard to get up to get to school. I had the zombie feeling almost all day. I could just about drive home at 4:30. Today, I feel great. Just a little tired because I have been up late for the last week or so figuring out teacher schedules. That's done, the kids are in school, the teachers are working so nicely with them, I am elated. Meds are a good help to keep that even keel in me. I hate the fact that I need to depend on medication to get me through. I'm getting older, and the metabolism is slowing, so I wonder effect that has on the side effects of the anithistamines.

mayray518
08-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Emily rose, you dont feel like a zombie on 50 mg of elavil? Guess people react differently to meds

emilyrose197377
08-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Not now i don't my body has adjusted to the medication.

mela414
08-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Boy after reading all these posts...........I am afraid to start my new med combo of Elavil and Atarax. I think I will try the Elavil (5 mg or less) first and see how it goes. If ok then I can up the dose slowly. I remember trying once about 5 years ago and I was like a zombie the next day! I couldn't walk ....let alone stagger out of bed! and that was half of a 10 mg pill. I know my body has changed since then...but not for the better! I've developed more food intolerances and more intolerances to meds... But I am willing to give it another try at a baby dose (i'll split the 10 mgs into quarters!)
wish me luck. something has to give!

emilyrose197377
08-27-2005, 12:51 PM
I take 50 mg elavil and 25 mg of atarax twice a day . I take the elavil at night with my last dose of atarax and at first I was very tired been on it for 2 wks now and my body adjusted to the medication . I am not as tired anymore. I would say it depends on the person and how they react everyone is different.

mela414
08-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Has it been helping you?
Are you doing the Elmiron instillations too?
I hope you are feeling better.

emilyrose197377
08-27-2005, 01:19 PM
I am not on elmiron instillations . I have been using lidocaine gel . I will be starting heparin instillations as soon as I get my residual urine under control . The atarax didn't help at first but since it has been 2 wks it is starting to help me .

glitteringglory
09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I just started hydroxyzine on Friday (50 mg) but have been a zombie since. I am super frustrated but see I am not alone. My husband cut all the very small pills in half so I will try that until next time I call in for the prescription. I hope it gets better or I will hvae to try something else. I hear it gets better in 2 weeks. So, let me know if you gets better for you, k?