PDA

View Full Version : What's for breakfast?

macylynn
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
hi Everyone,
Well, I couldn't handle my flare anymore at work. I called my uro, she said come in and give a sample. There was blood in my urine. She said it is fine that I am taking the propoxy for pain!! :angel: She wants me to stick to the IC diet... :mad: And take 3 prelief with every snack and meal. SoOoOoOoO, What does everyone eat for breakfast that is IC friendly and fairly fast? I have been eating a Nutri-grain cereal bar, but the major ingredient is high fructose corn syrup and I think that is a No-No. All input is appreciated! Thanks IC'ers! :kissing:

Portia17
05-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I eat kashi but have no idea if it is good or not because I don't get this anymore.

macylynn
05-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Portia, YOu are symptom free?!?!!? YOu are sooo lucky! Congratulations to you! Thanks for posting to help us out!
My step-dad likes the kashi. My mom doesn't.... I am going over there for supper on Sunday, I'll have to look at the box. Thanks!

Portia17
05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
macylynn

I think I worded it wrong. I mean I don't get what to eat anymore as I am confused what to eat. Sorry about that

NO, not symptom free but doing pretty good, yesterday hardly any pain BUT today this afternoon pain and pressure came back but I also have upper respitory infection which doc just gave me antibiotics

Sorry for the mixup

macylynn
05-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Oh, I'm sorry Portia! I hope you are feeling better soon! So, you might be looking for something IC friendly for breakfast? I will look at my step-dad's box when I go over there on Sunday. Again, I hope you feel better! Push the water and rest. :grouphug:

diane57
05-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi MacyLynn. I don't have problems with corn syrup, but cereals and cereal bars with added B vitamins and C vitamins give me HORRIBLE problems. You might take a couple days off from the cereal bar and see if it makes a difference...

macylynn
05-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Does anyone have any other suggestions for IC friendly breakfast? I am really at a loss.... This morning I didn't eat breakfast! :ignore:

Annie2
05-04-2005, 12:50 PM
How about eggs for breakfast? Unless sensitive to eggs for other reasons, most of us are fine with eggs. You can scramble an egg very quickly or just keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge for a really fast egg breakfast or afternoon snack. Have you found a bread that is safe for you? Toast with some of the Pear Cinnamon Jelly (available in the ICN shop) is really good. Some people are sensitive to oatmeal but if you are ok with it, it makes a great, nutritious and satisfying breakfast. I eat regular old fashioned oatmeal (none of those instant packages) almost every morning. It only takes a couple of minutes to cook in the micro. How about making some homemade pancakes or waffles when you have some time and freeze them? All you would need do is pull out a couple, heat them in the toaster or microwave and top them with a little real maple syrup (not the fake flavored syrups). If you like cold cereal, there are some that are sold in health food stores that do not contain preservatives or bothersome additives...just read labels carefully. Homemade coffee cake, biscuits, muffins, etc are always wonderful and can be baked ahead of time so they are waiting for you in the morning. I have a s-i-l (doesn't have IC) who likes her toast in the morning with cottage cheese on it. Are you ok with pears or blueberries? Sliced pears or pears mixed with blueberries are good any time of the day. There are so many breakfast choices that are safe for ICers!

Annie

bjt
05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Hello, I eat a plain bagel with cream cheese usually. I like it also with the pear jam that ICN sells. And, I eat the Kashi cereal with almond milk with no problems.
good luck!

AliJoy
05-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi Annie,

That was such great info. on the breakfast treats!! It was very positive and everything sounded yummy! I'd like to hear your ideas on lunch, as that is where I am having a hard time finding something. Anything quick and easy, and not a leftover?

Ali

melanie626
05-04-2005, 05:06 PM
String cheese, veggies, crackers-
Melanie

kadi
05-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi MacyLynn,
For breakfast--
Bagel with cream cheese (block Philly cream cheese, not tub)
Corn flakes from the health food store with no preservatives or added vitamins
Homemade zucchini or blueberry muffin (I make at least a dozen & freeze them)
Homemade waffles (also frozen, make them on weekends & freeze in ziplocks)
with cinnamon pear jam from ICN store or real maple syrup & butter
Barbara's shredded wheat cakes (no preserv or vitamins) with a miniature box of raisins or chopped dates.
Oatmeal with brown sugar &/or mini box of raisins or chopped dates or chopped pears

For AliJoyLunch:
Salad with spinach or romaine lettuce, chopped cauliflower, baby carrots, mushrooms, small amount of chopped red bell pepper; 1/2 whole wheat pita bread; salad dressing - 1tsp of Marie's Ranch dressing with 1tsp of nonfat milk, then take 2 Prelief tablets to neutralize dressing.

String cheese & veggies & Original Triscuits or Original Wheat thins

Subway turkey or roast beef sandwich with lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber and a bag of Classic Lays Potato Chips, small carton of lowfat milk

Sandwich made with whole wheat pita bread (careful to get one without preservatives)--roast beef, romaine lettuce, thin slices of bell pepper if you're okay with those, thin slices of cucumber

Cottage cheese, sliced pear with cinnamon, homemade muffin

Hope you find things you like soon!

Annie2
05-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Ok, lunch. This is a fun challenge! Sharing meal ideas is fun and gets us out of the ruts we tend to get stuck in!

Let's start with those incredible edible hard boiled eggs in the fridge. How about an egg salad sandwich? Use plain and safe pita bread or any bread you have found that your bladder tolerates. Use cottage cheese instead of mayo to make the egg salad and mix in some chopped celery, chopped green pepper and a little salt. Add a leaf of lettuce and you're done. You can also use blended cottage cheese in place of mayo to make chicken salad or tuna salad (if you cannot tolerate soy, be sure to buy canned tuna at a health food store and check the label to be sure no soy has been added---almost all major brands carried in grocery stores now have soy added). Or how about a chef salad with lettuce, chopped celery, some sliced black olives, chopped red or green peppers, sliced carrots and cucumber and topped with slices of chicken, turkey or roast beef, slices of hard boiled egg and a little grated mozzarella cheese. Add a little salad dressing (olive oil with a little basil and/or garlic or olive oil mixed with honey and/or pear juice or blended cottage cheese with some dill or other herb you like added to it).

My George Foreman grill really gets used frequently and makes lunch quick and easy. A grilled chicken breast topped with a little melted mozzarella by itself or in a sandwich is good and is ready to eat in just minutes. Grilled mozzarella cheese sandwiches are a wonderful treat. Throw in some carrot sticks and some Kettle Chips and you have a bigger meal. Grill a hamburger on the Foreman and top with melted cheese and/or some softened cream cheese (add a little milk to the cream cheese to make a thinner sauce-type topping) and thin slices of cucumber. When you have time, make a big pot of chicken or beef and vegetable soup and freeze in individual portion size containers then pull out and microwave when you need a quick lunch. Good with homemade soups and stews are some rolls I recently found to be safe for me and they contain no preservatives or artificial colors. They are Sister Schubert's brand and are found in the freezer section of many grocery stores. There are several varieties...dinner rolls, yeast rolls and yummy cinnamon yeast rolls. For a quick, light and refreshing lunch, some pear halves filled with cottage cheese are yummy. I also like pear and blueberry fruit salad. I make a fruit salad dressing from pear juice, a little honey and a pinch of cinnamon. Add a homemade muffin or biscuit and you have a tasty and refreshing warm-weather lunch. Back on the Foreman grill, you can make some grilled veggies (combo of whatever you like) and place them in a plain pita pocket for a quick and healthy veggie sandwich. A baked potato (quick if you do it in a micro) topped with steamed broccoli or other veggies and melted mozzarrella cheese is so good and filling!

Looking forward to seeing some more lunch ideas!

Annie

macylynn
05-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Thanks everyone!!!
For breakfast, I am going to start making blueberry muffins. I can't eat until I get to work because I take my Elmiron when I wake up...
Here is what I usually have for lunch!

Dilussi turkey and a slice of american cheese on two pieces of potato bread
cottage cheese
pear

Dilussi deli meats do not contain msg! The american cheese is also from the deli, so it doesn't bother me.

For a snack I usually have string cheese.

I need to start incorporating more veggies in my meals. I'm not a fan of raw veggies, so it makes it difficult because most canned veggies contain salt or msg. I should start eating frozen vegetables, but also am not fond of them! (picky, picky, picky)

Suppers have been a lot easier!
I have made cornish game hens, fettucini alfredo, chicken breasts and pork chops. I usually just make plain baked potatoes or french bread from the refridgerator (sp?) section. My husband doesn't like any vegetables except canned corn. I have been avoiding all canned products, so lately we haven't been eating any vegetables. For dessert, I have a pear or watermelon, my husband has bananas and strawberries.

macylynn
05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Ok, I guess I should have looked further down the message board page. I did not realize there was a board just for food questions!!!! I feel so silly :)

Eccles
05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi Macylynn, I find that unsweetened porridge (think you call it oatmeal in America) for breakfast,made with milk or water, calms my bladder down. It does take a few minutes to make. :bunny: Hope you find something you enjoy. lol