PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera gel question...

bjt
04-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi!
I just read today that some people are getting relief from drinking aloe vera gel. So, I bought some on the way home and tried to drink it... and I could barely choke it down. Its so thick and lumpy! yuck!
So, my question is: how do you all drink this stuff? Do you just choke it down all thick and lumpy? or do you somehow blend it with something? Please, help!
Thanks!

Barbara

diane57
04-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I agree the taste is bitter and yucky. I try to put it in my mouth and swallow quickly without the gel touching any of my taste buds lol. Oddly enough, my husband, who does not have IC, says he likes the flavor of the gel - he's a bitter grapefruit/sour apple kind of guy, though.

I don't mind the way the texture feels in my mouth, but I don't like the look of the texture when it comes out of the bottle, ya know??? It's like a jellyfish being poured out into the big spoon I use to swallow it...

I gotta say it's helped me, though. So I just continue to swallow quickly.

You probably could blend it with something though, blueberry juice in the blender?

neal1044
04-13-2005, 12:18 PM
this may be a dumd question, but are you talking about the same aloe vera gel that you would but on a sunburn? :hmm:

anxious one
04-13-2005, 12:58 PM
this may be a dumd question, but are you talking about the same aloe vera gel that you would but on a sunburn? :hmm:

I was going to say the exact same thing!!! Are you sure you should be eating that?!! think it's the Aloe Vera JUICE you should be drinking!!!!!

Betsie
04-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Um, not dumb, I am sitting here in disbelief...there isn't enough money in the world for me to "drink" that..all the times this has been discussed before, I assumed it was in capsule form...oh man, I hope this is a FANTASTIC remedy...and thanks to Dianes's descriptive response my gag reflux in in full force. :ignore: :biglaugh:

bjt
04-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I understand that its the gel, not the juice, that is helpful for IC people. I did buy the gel in the health food store, and it specifically states on it that its made to "drink" (how one drinks this lumpy stuff is my question, though!). Its not exactly the same as the stuff that you can buy for a sunburn.
Yes, it totally makes me gag... but if there is a chance it will work, I'll try it!!

So, it sounds like two of us are choking it down. Is there anyone else out there that has an idea on how to eat this??

(it totally does look like a jellyfish!!!)

:dizzy:
Barbara

massagedoula
04-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know exactly why it is supposed to be the gel not juice that helps? I know that another user who is in remission always posts that her uro told her only the gel will work. Why? The gel, if you read the ingredients, is just the juice with natural thickening agents in it. Im not saying that the gel not juice controversy is wrong, I just don't understand it. Until I know why I should be choking on the gel, I am sticking to the juice. I use a brand called George's, it is distilled and tastes almost exactly like water. I mix 2 oz with blueberry juice each morning and drink 2 oz plain at night.

Janie Miranda
04-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Do you feel like the aloe has been helping you? I haven't tried it yet but am thinking about it.

massagedoula
04-14-2005, 07:41 AM
I don't know if the Aloe is helping. It is just like people who take Elmiron say...Is it that I am taking or am I just feeling better b/c of other factors?

I am feeling better this week than I have in 2 months. I have been taking Aloe for 3 weeks now. Again, I want to say that I am not taking the gel, I am taking a distilled liquid called George's Aloe Vera. I chose that because it had no citric acid. I tried an aloe juice from a very good brand, Lily of the Harvest, and that made my bladder hurt b/c of the citric acid. I like the idea of drinking it rather than taking a pill, but I do have some Desert Harvest pills in my cabinet that I am saving in case I start feeling worse. I like to always have a backup plan.

BTW...I still really want to know people's opinions on why the gel vs. juice????

diane57
04-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Massagedoula, you're right about the citric acid - the brand I use does have citric acid (Lily of the Harvest) because that's all I could find at the health food store. I've been lucky because the small amount of citric acid hasn't irritated my bladder, and I do feel a very quick response when I take the gel - within a few hours I can go from moderately flaring to feeling almost normal. When I run out of the current bottle of gel, I'm going to order the kind without citric acid (Real Aloe Vera Gel) online.

Imustpee is the one in remission who recommended this. I think she once posted that she likes the flavor, so I guess everyone has a different response to it. The texture on the tongue is about like yogurt - it's not like it's too thick to swallow (for me at least...)

Interesting that the gel is just the juice with a thickener. Probably means that the juice would work just the same? Or maybe there's something about the gel that makes it adhere to the bladder better, where the juice might not stick onto the bladder wall?? (Pure speculation....)

I'm so interested to see if you keep feeling better - read on a different forum that you had a great uro visit recently. Keep us posted...

massagedoula
04-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Real Aloe Vera Gel, the one that ImustPee uses, does actually have citric acid in it. I bought that in the beginning, after reading her posts, but Ihave not opened it yet, because I noticed that it does contain Citric Acid, as well. I wrote to her about that, and she said that Citric Acid does not bother her bladder. She does not seem to have any food sensitivites, since I have read in one of her posts that she can even eat chocolate!

Here is what I know about Aloe vera. Once harvested from the leaf, the organic gel will start to deteriorate in a week. Therefore, a preservative is needed to commercially distribute Aloe vera. That preservative is almost always Citric Acid.

There is no commerically produced whole leaf gel or juice that does not contain Citric Acid. I researched this extensively. Since I am very diet sensitive, I needed to find one that did not contain it. So the one I use is not a whole leaf Aloe vera, it originally comes from whole leaves, but then it has been distilled. At first I was unsure about if it would have enough strength, but the leaflet that comes with it makes a good point, that Jack Daniels and Petroleum are both distilled products, and no-one can say that they are not strong.

So that is what I am using. It has no preservatives and does not even have to be refrigerated after opening! I do know that the mucopolysaccharide chains are broken down through the distillation process. The manufacturer claims that it is postitive thing, because it makes them easier to be absobed by the body. I wonder if they are so easily absorbed, are they even making it to my bladder, or are they being absorbed on the way down?

But that is my trade off...since I can't take any other brand b/c of the Citric Acid. The problem with citric acid and bladder pain is why Desert Harvest, who make the freeze dried pills, are so popular with IC patients. They freeze dry their Aloe so they dont have to use preservatives either. I like the idea of drinking it, so I am sticking to my distilled Aloe for now. Eventually I may try the pills.

Also, about the juice being a gel w/thickeners, I learned this by going to the store and looking at the same brand of juice and then gel. The juice is just juice and preservatives (citric acid and such) and the gel contains the same ingredients plus carcigeean (a seaweed derive thickener) and some have other organic thickeners lke guar gum. So I have no idea why the addition of thickeners would help more...unless they keep the gel whole until it gets to the urinary system???

diane57
04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks, massagedoula. Citric acid is everywhere! You saved me the cost of postage ordering the "Real" brand online...

I took 3 months of the Desert Harvest pills last summer, noticed some improvement, but I really do think the gel makes me feel an immediate improvement. Who knows, though...my symptoms seem to fluctuate for no reason sometimes. I think I'll also buy the Georges juice and test drive it...might be good for days when I'm not in a jellyfish mood lol...

massagedoula
04-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Just so you know, Windwalker posted that she tried it in an earlier post and it made her flare. I am very sensitive and it does not make me flare...we all react so differently!
I just wanted to let you know that...but I think it is still worth a try...if you dont want to eat jellyfish all the time!

windwalker
04-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Diane I dont know if u have a better health store near you, but ours even sells 8 ouncers of that aloe liquid. May make it easier to try that way. You can go to the georges website and they have a list of who sells their products, call one close to you see if they sell the smaller bottles. Good luck. Wish it worked for me, but yep, we are alllll different :)

melanie626
04-20-2005, 02:15 PM
What is the aloe supposed to do for the bladder?

Dianne
04-21-2005, 04:31 AM
I put it in a med cup and used a straw in one fell swoop so I didn't gag. That put it to the back of my throat and I didn't taste it as much.

Dianne
04-27-2005, 06:48 AM
I special ordered the distilled George's and will start it today. I'll let you know. I'm extremely sensitive to anything going in my mouth. I know a lot of people also instill aloe vera juice as per Dr. McSherry in the Meet the Experts transcripts. I tried that several years ago and it helped the bladder but inflammed the urethra so bad I couldn't handle it. (The Dessert Harvest pills about killed me too but I don't know why). Makes me wonder if the distilled aloe vera would be more tolerable without the citric acid either by mouth or by instill. Maybe I'll call her office back and ask. They are wonderful to talk to IC patients on the phone even if you've never been to her. I was impressed. My Dr. called and talked to her for a long time.

windwalker
04-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Good luck w/the aloe, hope it works out for you :)

massagedoula
04-27-2005, 10:02 AM
I have never heard of Dr. McSherry. Can you tell me more about her or send me a link to read up???

massagedoula
04-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Also, I have been taking 4 oz of George's Aloe a day for the last 2 weeks with no ill effects. I can't say that it is helping, but like all things, I just need to give it time. I am going to go up to 6 oz today. I also ordered Cystoprotek and will give that a try. I am also very sensitive to many things, so I am glad for the George's!

windwalker
04-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm glad to hear you are able to take it w/no problems, I hope it starts to help ya! :)

Dianne
04-27-2005, 10:25 AM
http://www.ic-network.com/guestlectures/mcsherrytranscript.html

laure
04-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Ias it any special kind of aloe gel? I have Fruit of the Earth 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel, wondering if I should try it....

green_the_fish
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't know much about this aloe gel stuff, but I hope that it works for you guys :grouphug:

massagedoula
04-27-2005, 02:15 PM
My issue with Aloe was the citric acid in most of them. That was why I tried Georges. I have not tried Desert Harvest caps yet, but I will if I don't feel a difference from Georges in 30 days. That is how long they say you should start noticing.

Imustpee
04-27-2005, 04:53 PM
YES!! Get the GEL!! I use the REAL ALOE VERA GEL and I am in remission! I have had IC for 38 YEARS!!! Since I own a business I can get it cheaper than the stores sell it.( At cost).I get it direct from the company,,,The citric acid is a very small amount and doesn't bother me at all...The gel is like half set jello, with a mild citrus flavor...I see the taste bothers some of you so here is my cure...drink it through a straw!

ChrissyH
04-28-2005, 01:35 AM
What is the difference between using the juice or the gel? I use aloe vera juice and like the extra tang it gives my water. The thought of drinking the gel doesn't sound too good.

laure
04-28-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm trying to find out if there is a specific brand name recommended or any aloe vera gel will do...

windwalker
04-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Imustpee thats great! Congrats! I found one thats organic that says no preservatives, I emailed them to see if that includes citric acid but waiting for a response. Its a juice not a gel, Imustpee, are you able to tell me what the difference bet. gel and juice are? Thanks
Dawn

July
04-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Yes, how does aloe vera help?

Imustpee
04-28-2005, 05:09 AM
The gel acts like Elmiron, coating the bladder....my uro says it MUST BE THE GEL...NOT the juice..uro says some folks see so much improvement they can go off all their other meds....the gel is like half set jello with a mild citrus flavor..if you can't tolerate the flavore suck it up with a straw..

Dianne
04-28-2005, 05:20 AM
I think massagedoula said the distilled juice is helping her though. I couldn't tolerate the gel at all but I made it through day 1 of the distilled juice - which is longer than most things I try. I rarely get past the first dose of anything.

Portia17
04-28-2005, 05:21 AM
aloe coats the bladder so stops it from burning

Imustpee
04-28-2005, 05:31 AM
Dianne,,,I wish you luck with the juice....my uro said for me to use only the gel, not the juice or the capsules......I am just passing on this info to all of you..

Dianne
04-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Thanks, I bombed big time on the pills, the juice, and the gel. The distilled juice is the only option left in this category for me.

massagedoula
04-28-2005, 07:46 AM
I have been trying to get the answer to why juice and not gel for the last month. I write it on many threads about aloe and no-one seems to be able to give me an answer, by that I mean that no-one responds. So I am also interested, because, if you compare the juice and gel, for example, the "Real Aloe Vera" brand, the gel is just the juice with thickeners added! Now, I am not saying that the gel is not superior, I just want to know WHY it is.
I also started taking Desert Harvest Aloe today. I am on a real Aloe kick, I guess.

Portia17
04-28-2005, 07:51 AM
massagedoula:

I sent you a p.m. of what I use : )

massagedoula
04-28-2005, 07:54 AM
IMUSTPEE, Could you ask your Uro for us why he says it has to be the gel and not juice or pills? So many of us want to know! :)

Dianne, I hope the the George's will help you. As I said before, I don't know if it is heloing me, but I can definetly say that I have had no bad effects. With natural things I think the change comes so slow that it is hard to notice. Maybe in 3 months I will look back and say "hey, I see now that it did help compared to how I was back them..." but for now I just take it faithfully, 2 oz, 2xday. I do know that many people with Chron's Disease take George's because it is the only brand they can tolerate, so I think it is very well tolerated for sensitive people like us.

I also started Desert Harvest Aloe pills today. I started by taking just one. I will wait 8 hours and see if I have any bad effects, then I will take another, and if I wake up tomorrow and still feel no bad effects, I will take 2 , and so on until I am up to the 3/3 that they recommend. What was your bad effects from Desert Harvest? I wonder because we seem similar in our sensitivity to things. I also plan to try Cystoprotek too, I just ordered it 2 days ago.

Let me know how you are doing.
-emily

Imustpee
04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Uro is not in on Thursdays...I will call him tomorrow...

massagedoula
04-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Thank you so much! :)

MamaKay
04-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Massagedoula - I just noticed when the onset of your symptons started. Like most people here, I have had IC symptoms all of my life, but was officially diagnosed in 1995. After an initial high dosage of all kinds of meds, I was able to control my IC with just 1 Urogesic tablet per day and my diet for 8 years. In January 2003, after my yearly exam and pap smear, my IC came on with a vengeance and has partially subsided with an onslaught of medicine including Elmiron, Atarax, Urogesic, Detrol, Amitryptiline, etc. During 2004, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis which I never had a problem with prior to this - added Asacol to my traveling medicine cabinet. During 2005, I have been diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis. (I am a true blue member of the "itis" family now.)

ANYWAY - isn't it strange how this disease decides when to rear it's ugly head. I will continue to read the posts about Aloe Vera, but I am currently just too darn tired of taking any more medicine (drugs or natural).

massagedoula
04-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Now you are the 3rd person that has told me that their symptoms started/got worse after a pap smear. There should be some sort of correlation made, I only wish I knew...

Dianne
04-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Anything going in my mouth on average hits in about an hour and a half and the symptom is tremendous burning and pressure. The way I know if it's something I put in my mouth vs. just the disease is that if it's something I took orally, the pain/pressure doesn't subside with emptying the bladder. If it's generic IC pain, it does. If I don't take another of whatever bothered me, it's gone in 24 hours. If I take a Cipro though, it cuts the time in half even though I don't have a UTI, goes away in 12 hours. In my case it helps with inflammation so I take one every 3 days and as needed for severe pain. Algonat, aloe vera juice, caps, etc. all gave me tremendous burning and pressure a couple of hours later. The distilled juice however is not bothering me after day 2.

windwalker
04-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Glad to hear so far so good on the juice for ya! :)

massagedoula
04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
I am so happy that the juice is good for you. It even has a dose for infants, so you know it has to be pretty mild. I called Desert Harvest today to see if I can still drink the juice while I take the Desert harvest capsules, and the guy was actually kind of rude to me!!!! he said "I don't know" when I asked him. I told him that I thought he should know about what to take/not take with his product and he said "well that juice is basically water anyway"...but I certainly don't believe that at all. Just because it tastes like water doesn't mean it is water....geez....

I really like the George's, I think that it helps with my digestion, I have not gotten nauseous (I always had a problem with nausea in the mornings my whole life) since I took it. I don't know if it helps my bladder, but like all things, we need to give it time. I just hope that I can take it w/Desert Harvest without problems. I will call George's tomorrow and I hope to get a better response!

massagedoula
04-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Did you find out why the gel is the best yet????

melanie626
05-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Gel, juice, the pills now I am soooo confused. I just ordered the Desert Aloa and I wonder about this "georges"- what is it and where can I get it and OY this is so confusing.
Melanie

bjt
05-01-2005, 10:20 AM
yes, it is confusing!
After 2 days of trying to choke down the gel, I ordered the Desert Harvest capsules. They are so much easier to take! Its been about 2 weeks, and I have had good luck with them so far. No flares... I've been pretty good on my diet, though too. But normally I feel something, even a little. So I'm pretty happy so far!

good luck,

melanie626
05-01-2005, 10:24 AM
thanks! That is my concern. I don't think I can choke it down so I ordered the pills....I will keep my fingers crossed...
Thanks-
Melanie

Imustpee
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
:) The gel tastes like a light citrus and has the feel of half set jello..if you can't stand the taste, use a straw..My uro says only use the gel...I don't know why...not the pills or the liquid..it works for me...as I am in remission..good luck with the other aloe products..I hope they work as well for you as the gel has worked for me..

2cloud9
05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
There was talk earlier about some people being able to get off their meds and on Aloe alone...Does anyone have any experience with this. When ever I make any changes in the dosage of my Elmiron it takes weeks to see the results of those changes. How would you begin to try to switch over?
How much Aloe do you take in a day and when?

Imustpee
05-01-2005, 02:07 PM
"The talk" earlier was from me..My uro said that to me and I am just passing on the info to all of you...I "Drink" 3 - 4 mouthfuls a day...whenever I think about it....I try to spread it out.....you would not switch over until you see your dr...

massagedoula
05-01-2005, 03:30 PM
It is very confusing...I know. I am still going through trying to find what is right for me. I could not take the aloe gel that IMUSTPEE uses, because the citric acid in it bothered me too much. I then used George's Aloe juice, which is a distilled form of aloe juice, so there is no citric acid. I recently tried desert harvest pills, and found that the 3 days I took them, my frequency got worse, so I have gone off them and back on the George's (which gave me no side effects) and I will re-try the desert harvest at a later date, because maybe some other thing was irritating my bladder, and it was not the pills.

I hope this helps you with the confusing world of aloe.

IMUSTPEE, did you ever find out from your uro why the gel is better than the juice/pills? We still really want to know! :)

Imustpee
05-01-2005, 03:37 PM
No, I sure haven't....yet..uro is only in 2 days a week...it's very hard to get ahold of them even when they are in,,,, :rolleyes:

massagedoula
05-01-2005, 03:55 PM
I know what you mean...its hard to talk to doctors outside of the appointment time....but if you leave a message with the receptionist, maybe he will tell her the answer and she can call you back??? I know that it what I have to do with my urogyno! Sorry I am so persistant with asking you to find out, but I am REALLY interested...if the answer makes lots of sense, maybe I will just switch to the gel anyway, regardless of the citric acid! What I didn't understand was that when I looked at the gel and then the juice of the same brand, they both were the same, except the gel just had thickeners added....so I thought that it would make no difference which one was used, but your uro might know a really important reason why the thicker gel is better!

Julie B
05-09-2005, 05:36 PM
The only aloe product that has been tested with IC patients is Desert Harvest Aloe. They remove the laxitive agents, don't use preservatives, and concentrate the gel into capsules so that ICers don't have to take dozens of capsules a day. You can read more about it: Desert Harvest Aloe (http://icnshop.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl?command=goto&file=Alternatives.html&rtn=jb)

As far as the aloe gel or juices from the health food stores I have also seen aloe that has caffeine added which is definatly a no-no. Be careful and always read the labels! :)

Hugs Julie :)

massagedoula
05-09-2005, 07:22 PM
The George's distilled Aloe is also very nice, with all the laxatives removed. It is very gentle and used alot for Crohn's disease patients. No additives, and no citric acid.

diane57
05-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Hey massagedoula, how are you doing on the George's? How long have you been taking it, do you use it every day, and do you think it's helping?

massagedoula
05-10-2005, 08:08 AM
I take 4 oz a day, 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. I am feeling much better, but I actually dont know what is helping because I am taking many other natural suppliments too, along with the aloe. But it certainly isn't hurting! I have been taking it for about 6 weeks now. The past 4 days have been the best I have ever felt since this started for me.

diane57
05-10-2005, 01:54 PM
VERY excellent news, Massagedoula. Hope it continues!

LindaJB
05-23-2005, 04:13 AM
I've been using the Lily of the Valley aloe gel for two weeks now and it seems to help. I also take Sanctura, but I still felt some urgency until I started taking the aloe. It's got a really nasty taste to me, but 2 oz. twice a day is doable. And get this: I had a little spaghetti and a piece of pizza this weekend with no bad results!

Franny
05-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Messagedoula - don't hold out! what other natural remedies are you doing?

massagedoula
05-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh...a whole bunch of stuff...but its not as rosy as it was.
I am back in pain now...I dont know why.
I am still taking my remedies though, hoping for the best. I will let everyone know if I feel good again, I guess the other one was a fluke!!
If you want to still know, I will be happy to share.

windwalker
05-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Linda, thats what I am taking, pretty gackable, I put some in my mouth, then put some realllly cold water in hold my breath and swallow that stuff lol. ;)

emilyrose197377
05-24-2005, 09:04 AM
I use lidocaine and aloe in a creme but never knew you could drink the gel yuck.

LindaJB
05-25-2005, 02:54 AM
There's a difference between what you put on your skin and what you drink! I buy the gallon jug of drinkable gel, and it seems to be working well. Went off Prosed yesterday, so we'll see in about a week. That's around my period too, so the REAL test of aloe is coming up. I'll let you know!

windwalker
05-26-2005, 07:44 AM
crossin my fingers for ya Linda :)

LindaJB
05-26-2005, 08:46 AM
I checked the label and it's Lily of the Desert-99.5% aloe. I am feeling so "normal" now that I'm scared it's too good to be true! Hope others get some success; I pray for you guys all the time! (Proverbs 3:5-6)

July
05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi Linda,
pizza and spaghetti....How exciting! I hope you continue feeling better. I think they have that brand at Whole Foods. I'm going to go see.

sjackso
05-29-2005, 09:42 AM
As most of you have indicated, most of the liquid forms of aloe vera have citric acid added, which is an irritant to many of us. Moreover, many of the liquid and gel forms do not provide a high enough dosage of aloe vera to be effective in helping the bladder to heal. Desert Harvest is not the only pill form of aloe vera available for IC patients. I tried the Desert Harvest, but there must be something in the capsule that irritated my bladder (and I know of other IC patients who had the same response). I switched to Healthy Life Harvest aloe vera capsules--the original aloe vera product designed for IC patients. I started on it two months ago, and have been almost pain free since then (I should also add that I also started doing stretches for my pelvic floor as recommended in "A Headache in the Pelvis" at the same time). This aloe vera product has been experimentally tested on IC patients also, with results showing an improvement in 83% of those who use it.

LindaJB
05-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Now that my period has come along, I just wanted to let everyone know how it's gone w/the aloe. It's just like pre IC, with maybe a twinge of feeling I had to go (when I knew I didn't) at one point one day. The aloe is such a blessing for me-I feel so very normal!! I sure hope others can try this, and if this doesn't help, try, try again. Don't give up! I am still taking Sanctura, but after my vacation in a couple of weeks I'm going to try taking that away. Either way, aloe has helped tremendously. Had bbq ribs this weekend!

July
05-30-2005, 06:15 AM
Good news, Linda!
Just curious, what is Sanctura?

windwalker
05-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Linda, glad you are feeling pretty good, I just msgd ya, I forgot you already started the gel lol, only half my brain is workin today ;)

ICNDonna
05-31-2005, 03:10 AM
Sanctura is an antispasmodic.

Donna

Flarin-up Vicky
06-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Does Sanctura work for those of you who take it?

LindaJB
06-02-2005, 03:20 AM
I still had a some feelings of urgency with Sanctura until I started the aloe gel. I'm hoping to go off it when I get back from vacation and see if the aloe works on its own.

Doughgirl
06-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I have started using George's aloe juice also. They had several brands in the health food store, and I chose George's because it didn't have the citric acid that all the others had. It does taste like water. Their web site says it can take 2-4 weeks before you see any effects, so I won't know anything for a while.

jerry westgarde
06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I am trying to decide if I should quit the Desert Harvest Aloe Vera. I ordered a 2 month supply and have been on it for 21 days. For 10 days I was normal and on day 11 into a bad flair. I have continued with 6 pills a day hoping to get back to normal (low pain level), but I think at day 10 of this flare I might stop the Aloe Vera and see it it makes a difference. I assume from past posts there is no citric acid in DHarvest so have been racking my brain to try and figure out present flare. Dianne I note you had trouble with DHarvest, and I was wandering if this was immediate or later on in usage. Also going with prydium, MSM, and pain Meds, and will be attempting elmiron again after failure from side effects first two times. Will go with lower dosage elmiron this time.

Jerry

sjackso
06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Jerry,

I had trouble taking the Desert Harvest brand aloe vera and could not figure out why since it is made specifically for those with IC. I switched to Healthy Life Harvest (also designed for those with IC) and have had great success with it. I have since learned (after contacting the company) that the Desert Harvest has glycerin in the capsules and I know this (glycerin) is something that has irritated my bladder in the past. The Healthy Life Harvest aloe vera has only gelatin in the capsules, and thus does not bother me.

I hope this information is helpful in some way.

SJ

jerry westgarde
06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
SJ

Thank you for the info per DH Aloe. I never thought of the glycerin in the capsules as a problem source. I think what I will do is just split the capsule and utilize the ingredients in water. I do not like to waste the 4 bottles of
DH, it is a bit costly, and I want to try the DH for at least a month hoping for some results. I also do olive oil and flaxseed oil. Also Udo's oil which is the best for me, but can not purchase in my area, and it is a bit pricy. However with IBS the oil's are a big help.

Jerry

lili
06-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I've posted this before. As I was considering the aloe question I decided to use it as for a burn. I cut a stalk off my plant, trimmed it and inserted it vaginally to ease the burning sensation, leaving it in for about 30 minutes. It seemed to make sense to me to put it where i need it rather than send it through the digestive system. I leave it in for half an hour and it does provide some relief. I have never been able to take baths so when the burning is bad this is the only thing that works. Good luck ladies!

July
06-12-2005, 09:45 AM
I've been taking aloe vera gel. My bladder is doing ok. It's my bowels that seem to not like it. Is this common for those of you taking aloe vera in any form?

windwalker
06-12-2005, 10:54 AM
If it doesnt have the emodin and aloin removed, it can cause a problem w/the bowels. (those are kind of like laxatives) There is a liquid one that does have them removed, I think I may have told you about it before, just have a very short memory, msg me if I didnt.

July
06-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Hi Windwalker,
You msged me. I'm taking the Lily of the Harvest brand aloe vera gel from Whole Foods, about 1 oz. every night. I don't have a laxative effect. Just sharp gas pains when I wake up in the morning but little bowel movements "rabbit poop" as they call it...sorry to be so graphic! :bunny:
Its real annoying.

windwalker
06-13-2005, 07:42 AM
if you are taking the organic one, it doesnt have the laxative things in it, which can also cause gas. Rabbit poo, I get that off or on aloe, may just be your system. I take a digestive enzyme at bedtime and that seems to help. (althought the directions say two at mealtime, I still take only one at bedtime)Gotta be careful tho, some can bother your bladder. Maybe a stool softener? Taking in enough fiber?

Lady Tamara
06-13-2005, 04:27 PM
hello everyone :)

i recently started taking the Desert Harvest Whole Leaf Aloe Capsules, it comes without that aloin and aloe emodin in it, that causes the tummy/bowel upsets, and it has heaps of research backing it up as an effective remedy for IC and pelvic pain etc....im really hoping it helps me hehe...wonder what you guys think about it?
it was really interesting reading all your thoughts on the gel V juice :) very helful..cus i never knew there was a difference, altho i knew i couldnt take the juice cus of the acid and preservatives
take care
tam xox