PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled for Urodynamics and Cysto on same day!

massagedoula
03-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm quite scared now.

I just saw the urogynecologist for the 2nd time today. She scheduled me for a urodynamics test AND in-office cysto on the same day. At first I thought it was a good idea, as it would be only 1 day that the bladder/urethra gets irritated instead of 2 seperate times...but now I read the posts about the urodynamics and cystos and got SCARED! I thought that the cysto would hurt, but I never thought that the urodynamics test would too. I guess I didn't know what it was, exactly.

Has anyone else ever gotten these tests on the same day? Do you think its a bad idea? I have only ever had 1 catheter, and it was a "mini" catheter in the ER, and I had a panic attack with the pain. They did not use any lidocane then, however. And I was in the ER for extremely bad pain in the fist place.

The urogyn says that they will put the lidocane in, leave it a few minutes to make sure I am numb, then insert the catheter for urodynamics (which I still don't know exactly what it is, just that I have to come with a full bladder) then after that, I will get the in-office cysto, where she says that they use smaller cathether/cameras than in a uro's office...but I have never gotten one in a uro's office so I dont know what to compare it with.

So...I am looking for some words of wisdom here and some advice if this will be too much for my poor bladder...or if it is better to get it all over with in one day. She is a urogyn that specializes in pelvic pain...so I would think that she would be understanding, right??? Or do people that have never had our pain and symptoms just not get it that we do not respond to procedures involving our bladders/urethras like "normal" people. :toilet:

ICNDonna
03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
When I was in the process of being diagnosed, I had both tests in one day. I was glad I could do it all at once.

Donna

Portia17
03-29-2005, 05:33 PM
urodynamics test is to test how much you pee and how much you hold it and if u dont leave any behind.

As for the cysto - I had that done in the hospital under antesthesia

massagedoula
03-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Donna,

I am glad that someone did them both in one day too.I was worried that it was not a normal thing, since the receptionist at the Doctors office looked at me strangely and had to ask the nurse if it was what the Doctor had said to do, when I said that I needed to make the appt. for them both in one day.

Did you experience any lasting pain or other bad effects when you did the day of testing? I have to go back to school for a Microbiology class, of all things, right afterwards!

ICNDonna
03-29-2005, 06:18 PM
I had those tests a 2 1/2 hour drive away and afterwards, we had to drive home. As I recall, I was having some pretty bad pain all the time then so I didn't feel good much of the time. That was 30 years ago.

Donna

massagedoula
03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Thank you Donna for your quick reply.

Has anyone else had them in the same day?

Babs RN
03-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I had the urodynamics done and a semi-cysto--they had to stop because I started to bleed and they found pus in my cystocele pocket(TMI, I know)and then had a 2.5 hour drive and felt like crap for the rest of the day. Luckily some one drove me so I could take pain meds right after because I had some serious cramping and pain. My mother in law who knows I am tough as nails said she thought I was going to pass out I was so white. Everyone is different as we all know, but I consider myself one hard core person when it comes to pain and it killed me. I went to Vegas three days after being discharged from my rectocele fistula repair(little delivery booboo) to pick up my daughter(hubby driving)with a pillow and Vicodin. That was nothing. Please get it done though, because alot of the information is valuable. Please e-mail or PM me if you need to vent, talk, or ask questions. I would be glad to share my journey with you.

Hugs,
Barb :grouphug:

massagedoula
03-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Babs RN,

How long did it take for you to feel better afterwards? Were you ok the next morning or did it take days??? I'm worried.

Babs RN
03-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Better by the next morning, without a doubt.

massagedoula
03-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh thank you...I feel much more relieved when I read your last post. I can finally go to bed! (I hope...)

Amyinagony
03-30-2005, 08:09 AM
I had them done at two different times. Had pain after both too. So if you're going to have pain after, may as well get them both at one time, instead of separately. My urodynamic test also showed me retaining urine after I voided too. They said something about my sphincter muscle. They said that this is probably why when I have bad bladder spasms, I cannot urinate at all on my own. It is a very useful test to have done. Have someone take you and bring you home. Take your pain meds with you. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

DanaW
03-31-2005, 05:49 PM
I had the Uro-dynamics test done also. I always dread the catheter but, it has to be done. One of the reasons you have to have the catheter in is bc they need to check your flow as it is released. Also, they will put some electrodes on certain areas to measure exactly what your muscles are doing as your bladder fills and empties. They also want to know at what point your urgency begins and when you can't stand it anymore.....Afterwards I was uncomfortable ....but, I took Pryridium (prescription) and my pain meds. I also had a long drive and had to go it alone. (2.15 hours) I was sore for a couple of days....which I am used to anyways bc I have every day pain....hang in there and let us know the results.... :) You can do this!

Dana W.

massagedoula
04-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Did everyone get an antibiotic to prevent infection afterwards? Because they never mentioned anything about that to me, and I know for sure that that office does not believe in giving antibiotics unless there is actual bacteria that is present in a culture. Should I ask anyway for one...or is there no need to? I don't want to get an infection on top of all this, but I don't want to take needless antibiotics either!

Portia17
04-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Yes I was given a prescription to fill for macrobid. They said to take the first one with a sip of water day of cysto not for urodynamics. Then I had 10 more antibiotic pills to take after the cysto all to prevent infection.

My cysto was done under antesthesia with a biopsy
The only thing they did at first in the office was he looked in my bladder and numbed it and checked things but I was given 3 antibiotics for that too
Come to thing of it, for all the tests they have done even with dmso they always give me antibiotics to prevent infection
I would speak to your doctor