PDA

View Full Version : Constipation Effecting the Bladder?

Laurie248
03-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi All:

I have not yet been diagnosed with IC (chickened out of the cystoscopy) but in the meantime, I'm keeping a daily food/beverage/pain diary for 3-4 weeks and then I'm going to show my urologist the results.

I'm noticing something interesting -- when I'm constipated (which is, unfortunately, often -- I have been diagnosed with constipation predominant IBS) -- I get some related pain in my bladder/urethra area.

Does anyone else have this? Is it possible that when the bowel is filled and/or you are constipated (sorry to get graphic) it presses on the bladder somehow? And causes pain? Or perhaps the "straining" that's involved, has some effect on the bladder?

I notice that when I'm constipated and have a BM, afterwards, sometimes it feels like my lower left abdomen is spasming!!!!! This is quite painful. Sometimes the pain lasts for HOURS. This happened to be yesterday after a BM and all day yesterday I was in pain. Just this morning when I woke up, it was feeling better, but standing upright seemed to put pressure on my lower colon area and it started hurting all over again (lower left right quadrant of the abdomen).

Can anyone relate??? Thoughts?

Laurie

ICLori
03-04-2005, 09:10 AM
For me, my bladder feels worse right before I need to have a BM, and better afterwards for an hour or two. If I had to take a wild guess I think maybe it must be the pudendal nerve acting up or something.

This is a part of IC I'm having a hard time understanding. The scientists say that our pain and symptoms come from a combination of things. First there is the actual injury in the bladder, and then our nerves get "up-regulated" and hypersensitive, increasing and prolonging our pain. I'm guessing that when we get these changes due to BM's, it's probably the nerves acting up rather than the actual bladder, but it's just a guess on my part.

I have heard people say that when their stomachs are full, their bladders don't hurt as much. Again, I'm guessing it has something to do with the nerves rather than the bladder itself.

Sometimes I wish I could beam myself 30 years or so into the future and see what they've learned by then about IC and nerve involvement, etc.

The voiding/food/pain diary is a great way to see what affects you the most and to really get an idea of the extent of the problems/symptoms. I hope it will give you valuable information that will help you find the best course to take from here, and hopefully you will feel much better soon.

Blessings, Lori

July
03-04-2005, 12:00 PM
I'd guess that full bowels during constipation are putting pressure on your bladder.

Katrina
03-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Since I have a lot of difficulty having each bowl movement...problem with scar tissue and costipaiton I am a lot like you....constipations puts me in more pain and if I try to go It will hurt me more. DON'T PUSH! It can only hurt you in the long run. I can't not do so ....always have needed to since my colon was removed. Non the less I understand your symptom. Your gastroenterologist can give you an anti spasmodic....which may help...one that can work on your bladder and your colon may help even more. HOpe you feel better. I know I find it very painful at times.
:grouphug:

kadi
03-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Yes, constipation bothers my bladder, so I try to avoid it.

Vicci
03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes! My flare ups are always intertwined with IBS (constipation problems) Often I'll be in pain for hours and when I finally empty my bowel (which usually takes several hours) the pain begins to subside. I do suffer from constipation all the time though, and IBS flares about 6 times/year from 1 - 9 days in duration!
Peace & Good luck!

ICNDonna
03-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Please talk to your doctor about your constipation problem --- it can definitely contribute to IC symptoms. And --- please --- don't strain for either a bowel movement or to urinate. It will make matters worse.

Donna

Sarojini
03-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Yes, I definitely find that my bladder feels worse if I'm constipated. Also, I agree with ICLori that my bladder always acts up right before I have to have a BM -- I have no idea why (my husband always laughs and says the poop must be poking my bladder somehow), but Lori's theory of the pudendal nerve and other nerves in the area "acting up" makes sense. Often, in IC, the nerves in the pelvic area can become confused and you can feel pain all over the place and at odd times -- it can be very irritating.

Do speak to your doctor about the constipation -- it does make IC worse. In the meantime make sure you're eating enough fiber. I also use a gentle stool softener called Colace sometimes, or milk of magnesia sometimes helps me as well.

Sharing
03-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Metamucil did the trick for me take it every day!

kadi
03-06-2005, 01:49 PM
2 Fibercon tablets every morning are very helpful for me.