PDA

View Full Version : Help, DMSO+lidocaine=trouble???

Romans8:28
02-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Saw my DR today and we discussed using the DMSO, in many different ways! I ask him about instilling the lidocaine first or combined with heparin/marcaine etc. but he said that a prominant IC DR told him that there is a concern that DMSO mixed with lidocaine or mercaine could put the lidocaine or marcaine in the blood stream which is dangerous! He is open only if we can show that it's safe! I appreciate that, He's a good DR. I noticed in THe IC Survival guide it mentions not adding DMSO to a rescue therapy
Have any of you heard of that??????
Or do you know any research that shows that it has been found safe etc??Thanks so much for all your help! DIgging for answers!

ICNDonna
02-08-2005, 04:27 PM
I can't prove it's safe, but I have monthly DMSO instillations with lidocaine instilled first.

Donna

Dianne
02-08-2005, 06:59 PM
I did many DMSO/lidocaine mixed together without any trouble. Remember people in ICU have lidocaine drips running all the time. Standard treatment for cardiac patients. I had a pharmacist calculate for me what if the whole amount of lidocaine we use for an instill with or before DMSO were put directly in an IV knowing we don't absorb nearly that much in an instill. He calculated that and responded that the amount was negligible. I needed to know because I did my own DMSO/lidocaine at home. After the pharmacist told me it was not an issue and Dr. agreed, I never gave it another thought and never had a problem. My first Dr. (from the dark ages) didn't believe in lidocaine before or during DMSO treatments. He had the same concerns and wouldn't let me use any. I can't believe I put myself through about 35 DMSO without lidocaine before I switched uro's.

ICLori
02-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Both of my DMSO instillations were done without lidocaine. My old urologist didn't believe in lidocaine either for DMSO or for other procedures such as cystoscopy, catheterization, etc. I don't think it was because he thought it was dangerous, though. It was because he felt a little pain was good for a patient.

Blessings, Lori

Sarojini
02-09-2005, 01:28 AM
When I had my DMSOs, they were without lidocaine. My uro simply believed that DMSO treatments shouldn't hurt you, so why bother? I endured 12 or so instills without the lidocaine, in pain each time, and I swear the treatments made me worse... so I switched uros and she doesn't believe in DMSO.

However, DMSO helps many, many people, so I'd go ahead and try it. I do recommend using lidocaine if at all possible. Dianne is right; the amount of lidocaine you'd absorb systemically is negligible (I'm a biologist by training and have done similar calculations as Dianne's pharmacist). Plus, I can tell you that injecting lidocaine directly into the body is not as big a deal as your doc is making it out to be... I have fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome, and I have monthly injections of lidocaine into tender points and trigger points in my muscles to reduce my body pain. While I do get a bit woozy for about 30 minutes after the procedures, I have noticed nothing serious, even when my doc injects multiple points all over my body. So... I say go for it, use the lidocaine. It will save you a lot of suffering with the DMSO treatments!!!

HGC
02-09-2005, 01:52 AM
I have lidocaine instilled in my bladder prior to having DMSO & Solumedrol instilled every 3 weeks and have been doing so for 13 years and I'm fine. Without the lidocaine, the DMSO really burns me.

applebetty
02-10-2005, 02:17 PM
I have been having lidocaine with the heparin done once a week for 4 years. ALso use it in the vagina. When my doc doubled the dose in the beginning the pharmacist got worried. Doctor had to explain to him it was going into the bladder and not by IV. Pharmacist was fine with it after he explained it to him. I've had no problems at all with it.

malone
02-22-2005, 08:32 AM
I have had maybe 50 instills with cocktail (DMSO heparin and not sure of what else). My regular URO was out of town so his partner did it and added Lidocaine. By the time I got home and started tp throw up I thought I had had a stroke b/c my throat was numb. My husband took me to the ER and my Fabulous GP met us there. The ER doc and my GP got on the phone with poison control and while the good news was that it would not kill me the bad was that I was SO sick I wanted to die! It poisoned every organ in my body. I have few memories of the 7 days in the hosp. and when I was released I still threw up for the next 10 days!!! Poison control told us that it would take 6 weeks for it to work its way out completely out of my system. I can no longer have any instillations and they used to help. So just please, please, please be careful! Hugs--Malone

Dixiefireball
02-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I use the cocktail treatment which is heparin marcaine and water mixed together and installed straight into the bladder with a cath. its been safe for me and helps tons

Romans8:28
02-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks so much for all the imput! I spent lots of time researching and have learned the MSM has the benefits of DMSO without the problem of carrying the lidocaine deeper also! My DR and I are talking about this but at this point he is prescribing the formula like Dixie's (plus lidocaine) to start at home instill probably next week! (I currently do them weekly along with the Kellog (sp) at his office. He is leaving that out for home.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience Malone!! It is scary, and again reminds us that what works for one may not another!

Dianne
02-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Wow, that is so scary considering I've done probably 50 DMSO all at home and about 15 of them with lidocaine. So is the thinking that the DMSO drove the lidocaine too deeply into the tissue and somehow into the blood stream? I thought about that all afternoon, like how would you get a numb throat from lido instilled into the bladder. Since lidocaine drip is standard treatment for heart patients, why would this happen with a bladder instill? I've read of DMSO suddenly causing poison type symptoms after long term use so if it were just vomiting, I would wonder about that, but the numbness sure sounds like the lidocaine. I'm both baffled and alarmed. I'm not using either anymore but I'm still very interested in this thread.

malone
02-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Dianne,
You are right that it could have been one too may instills or an overfill but it was the first ever with lidocaine. The DMSO has huge absoption properties which is why vets use so much of it and it could have carried the lidocaine with it--all I know is that it was the worst time in my life. Hope youn are feeling well--Love--Malone