PDA

View Full Version : vistaril and atarax what's the difference

hazellin31
01-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Are vistaril and atarax the same meds? Or could you be taking both at the same time?

vm
01-25-2005, 07:44 AM
This may help:

Antihistamines: ATARAX & VISTARIL

Mast cells are one of the body's first lines of defense against substances and invading organisms. Skin, nasal passages, and the gastrointestinal tract are all inhabited by mast cells. When you have a cold or suffer from fever, mast cells react to pollen or a virus by producing histamine and other substances. This leads to pain, inflammation and swelling.

Biopsies of some interstitial cystitis bladders, particularly ulcerative IC, have been found to have unusual numbers of mast cells. There is also speculation that mast cells in IC bladders do not function normally. In any case, antihistamine treatment in IC is aimed at stopping the "histamine-mast cell-inflammation" cycle in the bladder.

Atarax® and Vistaril® (generic name: Hydroxyzine HCL or Pomoate) are believed to block the activation of mast cells (12). Hydroxyzine has been shown in scientific studies to be very effective for IC patients, particularly patients with a history of allergies. Often used in conjunction with Elmiron, Hydroxyzine is now one of the most important therapies for IC patients.

The most common complaint of patients taking these drugs is that they cause drowsiness, dry mouth or irritability. Some people find that their drowsiness decreases in a few days. Hydroxyzine pomoate may be better tolerated than hydroxyzine HCL in some patients.

http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/oral.html

kittykitty
01-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm on day four of both of them, as well as elavil and elmiron.
Doc says that there is a difference between the two that makes it necessary
to take both in my case.

I'm going to try it for another week or so - it is making it very difficult for me to wake in the a.m. and is causing some sleepiness during the day....

How long has it taken others to see results from these meds? Did the sleepiness stay with you or did it go away after time....

glowbug
01-27-2005, 06:19 AM
I know my doctor mentioned they were different also, but both Vistaril and Atarax contain Hydroxyzine.

kittykitty, I'm no doctor, but I know that if you are taking very large doses of both drugs at the same time, you can have some unwanted side effects from the hydroxyzine. Being very sleepy is one side effect, sometimes it can even be something like tremors, or being nervous. I think most mention that the sleepiness does get better over time. The a.m. can be especially difficult, but once your up, it seems to be better. It's just getting to that point that's hard!