PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Sling

KEC
11-30-2004, 10:18 AM
I didnt know where to post this but I went to the urologist today for urodynamics testing. I also have IC. He wants to put in a sling. Does anyone have this? I know its out patient but how long would I be out of work. How painful is it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. KEC

Katrina
11-30-2004, 02:59 PM
:grouphug: I don't know anything about it but I subscribe to this thread so that I can learn. I hope it goes well for you!!!! :grouphug:

ICNDonna
11-30-2004, 05:51 PM
It can depend on the sling. I have a type of sling, but I was in the hospital several days and couldn't lift anything for almost three months. The surgery was done vaginally and I wasn't in a lot of pain afterwards. I was back to many normal activities within a couple of weeks. I was a pretty severe case --- my bladder was visible in the vagina.

Donna

Mel53H
11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Donna,

Is a bladder sling the same thing as a pessary? Or did you get the bladder sling put in during surgery.I am confused. Explain it to me.

I think that is where I am headed because my bladder is prolapsed. I hear it is also called a cystocele? I don't think all of these kegals that I am doing is going to help. There is no muscle tone left down there.

lalarainbow
12-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi
I had a burch sling put in at the same time as I had a hysterectomy... at that time I did not know i had IC. It was done to eliminate stress incontenience... It certainly helped that... I can sneeze and not loose it!!
All the best
~~Pam~~

ICNDonna
12-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Mel, I definitely had surgery to put in the sling --- it is attached to bones so it's not likely to fail. I did have a cystocele --- which means that the vaginal wall is torn and the bladder is protruding through the tear --- exercises won't help this. A pessary is a device that is inserted into the vagina to support the tissue. It's not a permanent fix, but in some circumstances is probably an acceptable alternative to surgery. I didn't consider it because my doctor felt I was a good candidate for the surgery. I'm very grateful I had it done.

Donna

Mel53H
12-01-2004, 05:03 AM
I BET you were grateful that you had it done!! I am not there yet, but I am getting there. They say that my vagina is short from the hysterectomy, so I probably won't be candidate for a pessary.

Thanks for the lesson! It always helps to ask someone who has been there done that!

Mel

KEC
12-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Mine is not for my bladder it would fit over my urethra. Its for stress incontinence. I worry that it will make my IC worse. I know it would not help it but the 2 are seperate problems. KEC

Babs RN
12-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey--
I am going to have my urodynamics done tomorrow and will have a sling soon. I don't see the uro until the 14th to schedule but if the NP doing the test gives me any info I will let you know. I have a detached urethra too so we'll see. I know there is the option of the pubo vaginal sling(the golden standard) and a new procedure called a TVT. Will let you know.

Hugs,
Barb :kissing:

crossfox
02-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi, they want me to have a sling for incontinence. My doctor described they would take a muscle from my leg (inner thigh) and graft it to my pelvis bones to sling my bladder up. My bladder dropped from a hysto 20 years ago. I do not have any other significant things like cystocele, but I have moderate IC, sjogrens, diabetes, obese, etc. They said I needed to loose weight before the surgery to give it a better chance of "taking" or it would have to be "redone" periodically.

icnmgrjill
02-19-2005, 01:29 PM
At every national urology conference, lots and lots of research studies are presented on various types of slings. The data is always kinda average... I would suggest that you spend a little bit of time on the National Library of Medicine's website and look up the specific type of sling that your doctor is suggesting. You can find the NLM link in our research library at: http://www.ic-network.com/library/

Jill :)

crossfox
02-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Jill, what would the type of bladder sling surgery be called? I looked at articles, but since my doctor did not talk in medical nomenclature I do not know what I am looking for.....Help please.

Babs RN
02-21-2005, 06:56 AM
There are a few different kinds of slings and names. The thing to usually look up in lay literature is pubovaginal sling. They have a procedure that is relatively new called a TVT in which the net like sling is inserted via a device that goes through the wall of your vagina on each side. The other procedures I have seen are the Burch procedure and the MMK(can't remember their names specifically but they are the ones who developed it) Of course this only stuff I have seen in my years as a nurse and I am having one of these done soon too. The best person to discuss this with is your doc of course. Good luck in your research.

Hugs and leakless days,
Barb ;)

realitygirl
02-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I recently saw my uro and finally told him that I had stress incontinence. He mentioned the sling to me but after dealing with IC, I asked about any other options. Even though the FDA has yet to approve Cymbalta for stress incontinence, my doctor gave me a prescription for 3 months to give it a try. What a difference it has made. It has even helped with my IC pain. I would ask your doctor if the Cymbalta would be an option. My uro told me that if the Cymbalta doesn't work then we would have to go with the sling. He said that it is always a very painful surgery for a person with IC.

I hope this helps!!!!

fireflicker285
02-28-2005, 11:36 AM
After my baby is born I am going to likely need a sling. I have a cystocele that is sooo bothersome. I cannot live like this.

I am willing to try a pessary if it will help as well. Glad to hear it is a fairly common surgery. I know I would feel loads better afterwards.

Good luck to you!

fireflicker285
03-01-2005, 03:37 AM
I am still pretty early. Baby is due Sept. 17th. So I am 11 and 1/2 weeks. Atleast my bladder is starting to calm down a bit.

I am glad they can repair these pelvic things. Looking forward to feeling better!
:)

fireflicker285
03-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Thinking of you and praying for the best.

Take care,

Babs RN
03-01-2005, 05:29 AM
Prayers to you Dusty. Tracey, I can not wait to have this sling done. I have started leaking bad enough that when I bend over to pick up my 4 year old I leak. Forget sneezing and coughing. Oops--forgot about the retention issue too. These cystoceles are a pain in the tooshie, that's for sure.

Hugs,
Barb :)

Dusty
03-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Thank you ...let us know how your bladder sling turns out..I think you'll be glad you had it done once your recover and notice you feel better.
Leaking..I hate that..its awful isn't it? Good luck to you and make sure when you are able you let everyone know how you are.
Dusty

Saph
03-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Wow. Im new in here and have just read all your posts. I am still recovering from having a hysterectomy and bladder sling two weeks ago. I didnt do a lot of research prior to the sling so therefore didnt have a LOT of questions for the doctor, who explained it to me in great detail anyway. BUT of course not having a clue what he was talking about, it didnt mean a lot. After reading your posts I now have quite a few questions. But I do have a question for all of you out there.

Q. I am finding it hard to tell when my bladder is full, hence waking up damp in the mornings. I am guessing this will improve with time????? :hmm:

Thanks

Dusty
03-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi! You are so soon after surgery, that it may be hard to know. I have trouble
telling if my bladder is full, but that isn't due to my bladder sling. You still have swelling from surgery as you are only two week out. Before you get too concerned that things are not O.K. and disappointed the surgery did not work I would call the doctor and ask them as swelling is still such a factor for you. Did you wake to that problem before your surgery? You must be feeling pretty good already. I'd check and see what they say on swelling and all as I remember that part and it took some time to heal from it. The bladder sling took my body the longest to heal from and get adjusted to. I also developed a slight infection afterwards and had to go on antibiotics. I looked into this and found that was in some cases normal with the bladder slings..check into all of that and keep us posted.
Hope you continue to have a good recovery.
Dusty

fireflicker285
03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I havn't had my bladder sling yet but I have a hard time telling when my bladder is full as well. This is alot worse when my bladder is flared. During a "bad" flare sometimes I have no idea if it is full! The pain is just "there". However I do agree you may be having that from swelling etc. since it is so soon after your surgery.

Speedy recovery...

Saph
03-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for replying fireflicker and dusty. I think you are right that my recovery is still very early days. Its all so new and feels different. What I do KNOW is that i have sneezed, laughed and coughed and NOT peed myself. I am so delighted and that will change my life so much not having that worry.

I have read a lot of people saying they had a lot of pain with their surgery. I have to say for those considering surgery that I had NO pain at all. The nurses/doc kept my pain under strict control that I had no more than a mild period pain. While I hated taking drugs every 4 hrs, it was well worth it not to have all the pain im hearing others say they had.

So far (2 weeks since surgery) my bowels (altho a bit of diarrhea) and bladder are doing just what they are meant to do. A mild urinary tract infection was cleared up fairly quickly and I do still have blood stained urine, which i imagine will clear with time. So far so good... :woohoo:

crossfox
03-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Wow, you guys are having a tough time. I have not had my sling yet, but I am not looking forward to it. As for numbness and not knowing if your bladder is full or not...when I had my hysterectomy I had a time with dampness too. I went to my Uro at the time, and he ran a bunch of tests. His conclusion was that the nerves had not healed yet, therefore I did not know when I was full, empty or inbetween. My advise to seek your doctors knowledge about your body, then empty your bladder before going to bed, trying to get up at least once a night to re-empty. On bad days I wear a pad to bed too. I think in 6 months to a year you may see a difference in knowing when you need to go. Go at regular intervals during the day too. I hope this information helps somebody! I honor your courage for having the sling, and all that you have gone through. It gives me hope.

Dusty
03-16-2005, 02:18 AM
You are barely out of surgery so you are doing great. I remember it was the bladder sling I noticed the most..and yes it is nice not to pee when you sneeze, cough or laugh..I still will sometimes if my bladder is full as I can't tell if it is due to other reasons..and that is irritating..it isnt due to the sling though. You just keep resting and recovering and each day will get better than the day before.
Dusty

Saph
03-16-2005, 01:00 PM
You guys are all great and very supportive...Thanks so much :grouphug:

Romans8:28
03-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I may have to have this done also, since my bladder is prolapsed. I'm really scared at the thought! Does the bladder sling, getting the bladder fixed help with the pain during the physical relationhsip.
Is sling the only way they fix a prolapsed bladder? How is it done? Do they have to make an incision? Do you have to stay overnight or is it outpatient? One other question, I know if my dr gets me asleep he may want to do a hydrodestion at the same time! Is that possible? Sorry so many questions, just so thankful for the information at this site.., I don't know what I do without the support here!

Saph
03-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Way to go Dusty...you tell em gal.

Today has been 3 weeks since my hysterectomy and sling and i am feeling really good. However, I am wondering if I might have a small infection. I have a small amount of discharge and a "bit" of a smell....My lower back also aches some of the time but it doesnt hurt to touch so im wondering if it might be my kidneys. Also I have to wear a pad most of the time as I leak especially during the night. I dont get that "I have a full bladder" feeling now and its really only when i feel that I might be about to leak urine that I know to go to the toilet.

I guess its all still very new and will improve in time but would love to hear if others have had any similar experiences. I see the doctor is a month....

Other than that I feel fabulous and have to keep reminding myself that I no longer have to cross my legs when i sneeze... :woohoo:

Dusty
03-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Thank you,
I would check about an infection...I devoloped one after surgery also and that was with me on antibiotics for surgery due to my heart..I have to take antibiotics for all surgeries and so on. I read and heard from some other ladies that devolped and infection also..I don't think that it is unusual. Call your doctor and see what they think as an antibiotic will get that asap...mine did. The sling and then the rebuilding of my pelvic floor that I had done in August has made a world of difference..especially that latter surgery..I am soooooooo glad I had it done as my pelvic floor was gone.
The put in a graph and it grew to me asap and me to it..and now it is great..I would tell any woman get that done if it is needed...it helped me so much as far a vaginal pain went..it is basically gone now.
It is new for you and you are right it does improve in time..just keep letting your body heal and check for infection with your doctor because that you don't want with the sling.
Take care and good luck.
Glad you are feeling somewhat better..each day is a new day for you and each day will be better than the day before..your body is healing and that is exactly what it needs to do.
Dusty

jrowley
03-22-2005, 02:41 AM
Mine is not for my bladder it would fit over my urethra. Its for stress incontinence. I worry that it will make my IC worse. I know it would not help it but the 2 are seperate problems. KEC

Urethral sling for stress incontinence in women (http://my.webmd.com/hw/womens_conditions/hw219880.asp)

Surgery Overview

Urethral sling surgeries to treat urinary incontinence involve placing a sling around the urethra to lift it back into a normal position and to exert pressure on the urethra to aid urine retention. The sling is attached to the abdominal wall.

The sling material may be muscle, ligament, or tendon tissue taken from the woman or from an animal, such as a pig. It may also be composed of synthetic material such as plastic that is compatible with body tissues or of absorbable polymer that eventually disintegrates.

What To Expect After Surgery

Since these surgeries involve deep incisions, hospitalization is required. To allow healing of the urinary tract, a thin, flexible tube (catheter) is placed into the bladder through the urethra or abdominal wall to allow urine to drain.

You are usually able to go home 2 to 3 days after the surgery if there have been no complications. Once home, expect a 2- to 4-week recovery period, during which you should refrain from doing too much work or strenuous activities of any kind.

The amount of pain you experience after surgery depends on the exact nature of your procedure, your physical condition at the time of surgery, and your own response to pain. You will probably feel some pain at the incision site and may feel some cramping in the abdomen. Your health professional will prescribe medication to relieve your discomfort during the first few days after surgery. Be sure to call your health professional if you experience unrelievable pain.

Many women have some constipation after this surgery. Make sure you drink enough fluidsóbetween 8 and 10 glasses of water, noncaffeinated beverages, and/or fruit juice each day. Include fruits, vegetables, and fiber in your diet. Add some processed or synthetic fiber (such as Citrucel, Metamucil, or Perdiem) to your diet, or try a stool softener, such as Colace or Peri-Colace, if your stools are very hard. Be sure to tell your health professional if constipation persists even after these methods have been tried.

Why It Is Done

The urethral sling procedure may be used for women who have stress incontinence:

Caused by sagging of the urethra and/or bladder neck.
With a history of previous failed surgeries.
Complicated by factors such as obesity that create a risk for failure of other types of surgeries.
Caused by problems with the muscular outlet of the bladder (sphincter).

How Well It Works

Sling surgeries are generally effective in eliminating incontinence.1

Risks

The risks of the urethral sling procedure include the following:

The synthetic sling material may wear away the tissue of the urethra or vagina.
The stitches (sutures) used to attach the sling may pull out. This is a higher risk for obese people.
Infection may occur at the site of surgical incisions.
Rejection of the sling material may occur if the sling was not made from the woman's own tissue.
A woman may have problems with sexual function after the surgery.
All surgeries that use general anesthesia carry a small risk of death or complications.

What To Think About

The urethral sling procedure is more complicated than the other surgical methods for correcting stress incontinence and involves a greater risk of damage to the urethra. It is sometimes done after retropubic surgery has failed.

Because of the difficulty of this procedure, it should be done only by a surgeon who specializes in this type of surgery.

Using a woman's own tissue for sling material eliminates problems with rejection of the sling and lessens the risk of the wearing away (erosion) of the urethra or vagina. However, it also increases surgery time and increases the number of incisions required because the sling tissue must be taken from the woman's body.

Before having surgery for urinary incontinence, ask your doctor about the following:

How much success has the doctor had in treating incontinence with surgery? The success of surgical procedures for urinary incontinence depends on the experience and skill of the surgeon.
Is there anything you can do to increase the likelihood of a successful surgery? Losing weight, quitting smoking, or doing pelvic floor (Kegel) exercises prior to surgery may increase the likelihood of regaining continence after surgery

Saph
03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Dusty thanks for you reassurance. :) I did go to the Doctor yesterday and I have two lots of anitbiotics to take now but won't find out what the infection is until results come back hopefully tomorrow. While I feel great and can see an improvement every day I can see why you need to whole 6 weeks to recover. Everyone said to me to take the whole 6 weeks and don't rush things and they are right. So far I highly recommend this surgery.

03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Jan thanks for taking the time to post that detailed informtion on the surgery! Know I will be having some of these conversations with my dr next week and it was very helpful!

jrowley
03-23-2005, 01:04 AM
You are very much welcomed Romans8:28. ;)

Dusty
03-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Saph, You are welcome..yes you do need to take your 6 weeks and rest and heal.
You must be a little like me and you like to do and all..that makes it hard for those of us like that, as we want to get busy ahead of schedule..ha! Just take your time and rest...and don't lift. Glad you went to the doctor..your meds will help real soon also.
Dusty

Babs RN
04-07-2005, 06:24 PM
I have been watching this thread with great interest since I have my sling/kidney stone basket retrieval/hydro date of surgery--May 23rd, my eighth wedding anniversary. Hubby is in Iraq anyway, no pressure for you know what :ignore: since he won't be back for his leave until September. I am still going to my parents for the summer, cuz I want my mommy and daddy. and 4 extra hands a legs form a much better perimeter around my little Tasmanian Devil. My parents haven't seen her in a year so they are itching. I just can't to have my bladder where it belongs. Extreme Makeover--Urinary Tract Edition. It just find comfort in reading the variables in experiences and know that I will fall in there somewhere.

Hugs,
Barb

Katrina
04-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Barb, I pray your surgery and recovery go well...and that your Summer at your parents is a good experience for you. Much love!

crossfox
07-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Hello all. It has been a while since I have been on. Lots has happened in my life. I had a trans-obturator sling placed to support my urethra and lower bladder on wednesday. It was told to me to be minimally invasive with two small bandaid cuts in my groin, and one in my vagina. The video I watched prior to the surgery had women on it who had stress incontience from spinal injury, or child birth one said she never took her pain pills afterward because she did not have any pain. I guess somehow I got her pain, and my pain too, because I cant sit down without pain. I have to eat in the living room because to sit in the dining room padded chair sets me into orbit! They tried me on Demerol first, and that did not touch it. I am taking Vicotin, but it makes me sleep but only takes the edge off the pain. I guess you could say I have lots more problems with IC than the women on the video had. I thought I was going to die until they got the Foley out of me, then it felt like knifes when I urinated. When in tremendous pain the poor nurse asked me how I felt, and I (not thinking) said "I feel like I've been raped". Hard to say but they sent me home anyway. I had bleeding like a period for about 2 days. That has now diminshed. My hips, and muscles feel like they made my legs into a pretzel during the surgery. I am very obese, so they said they had a hard time making the incision, and placement of the sling. The doctor said it was successful, but then they took an ultrasound, and said it had moved (the sling) This type sling is not sutured down, and it just lays there in your groin under the bladder. I can definitely feel it when I sit down on the toilet. I have a good stream, but I still have incontience. I am discouraged, worried, and depressed. I would really like someone to talk to that has had this procedure to know about when they began to feel normal again. Thanks.
Elizabeth aka crossfox :mad: :help:

crossfox
07-16-2005, 04:46 PM
I went to the Doctor Wednesday, I have an infection...again. I am still in pain from my surgery, and it is difficult to sit down on regular chairs. I am feeling depressed and alone. I am taking the third round of antibiotics and wondering if I need to go to some other specialist,,,somebody who knows what they are doing....Does anybody care about our pain? I scrubbed the kitchen last night out of anger, and ended up feeling like my bladder was going to fall out of me! I cant sleep, and really feel like I need somebody to talk to who knows what to do or what helps. Sometimes hot baths help me but I cant take one yet...This is one of those days.....I have to go, I cant sit anymore...

ICNDonna
07-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Crossfox, you really need to give yourself some time to heal. After I had my sling put in (mine is attached to bones), I had to avoid strenuous activity for six weeks and avoid lifting for several more weeks. Next time you get angry, try sitting back and relaxing with a good book or a TV movie.

Sending healing thoughts,
Donna

07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Cross fox.., I am sorry you are hurting and angry! I know how frustrating it is to be in pain. Please rest and take care of yourself!

Dusty
07-18-2005, 05:19 AM
Cross fox,
this is Dusty my surgeon put a bladder sling in in 2002. There are different kinds of these slings. I also had to go on antibiotics for awhile as I kept getting infections. You need to make sure you rest too and do not lift and so on. My surgeon told me none of that for 6 weeks for sure. I had some minimal bleeding afterwards but not much. I also last year had my pelvic floor rebuilt and that has made a world of difference in life for me. I basically had nothing left anymore and from so much straining with my bladder and all for years. My surgeon rebuilt that pelvic floor with a mess that comes from Sweden and instantly starts to graft to your body and your body to it. My pelvic floor pain has basically stopped not and I feel so much better now. It was one of the best surgeries I ever done and would tell any women needing it to do so. Anyway I had problems with my sling in the beginning only. Now I don't. I know the restrictions after female surgery are not so great and we like to do, but it is important that you do rest, don't lift and so on. Once I healed I have been fine. Then the surgery to rebuild my pelvic floor has helped me alot. You just had surgery and you really need to rest. I know that is hard when a person is use to being busy. I have heard of infections after some slings and I would just keep checking with your doctor on that one. I know pain is awful and I am no stranger to that one. I do hope you get some relief from it soon. Take it easy for now and give yourself time to heal so all heals as it should. You also will have some swelling after this surgery and that causes pain. I don't like to lay down as I like to be doing, but pain like after surgery is a signal you also need to get off your feet and rest. I wish you the best and hope you soon feel better. It is very discouraging I know.
Dusty

crossfox
07-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks Donna and Dusty for the comforting words, and gentle thoughts in my anguish. I am trying to take care of myself. I have to somehow learn a way to tell my family that I cant, CAN"T, do everything right now. Seems everybody is picking up on my anger, which I dont mean obviously....By nature I am not a nasty person...but the constant pain, and infection after infection gets to me sometimes.

I wish there was a support group here in Montana.

boggett2001
04-17-2006, 08:53 AM
I have a slightly embarrassing question and I hope someone out there can offer some info for me. I am getting scheduled for a TVT but I'm going to wait until after golf league season (!) so I won't miss out on a month of golf. I have seen diagrams of where the tapes can come out, either by the ligament by the thighs or on top near the pubic bone. My doc says it would be better for me to have them come near the pubic bone since I like to also ride horses and he's heard that it hurts to have the tapes exit there. But what I'm concerned about, and this is the eewwwooo part, is whether this is going to affect my sex life, i.e., that very nice feeling I get when my husband rubs me there. I just need to know if the tape ends are going to get in the way, even though they're under the skin. Is any extended rubbing action going to make me sore and not want to continue? Any experienced tapers out there?

Jen

crossfox
04-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi. I had the trans orbutrator urethral sling, a tape placed under the urethra to support it, and to guard against stress incontinence, last June. It has been helpful. When I dont have a urinary tract infection I dont leak anymore. When I have a urinary tract infection I do leak some. I still have urge incontinence. My bladder appears no longer inflamed as it did last year, miracles do happen! It was a bandaid type surgery in outpatient. There were four tiny cuts in the folds of where the pelvic floor meets my leg , no stitches, just some sort of glue they use now. I went home that day. I was on pain medication for about a week. I definitely was sore for about a month. After seven weeks I was back to work. I was not to lift anything for about two months. I would have recommended three months. I did have some residual infection, and ended up getting a boil where one of the cuts were. But I am very obese, and that happens to many of us, without surgery. (Legs rub, etc). My gynecologist and another Uro have told me my bladder, formerly thought to be dropped, is in perfect position now, and so is the urethra, so I am considering it was a good surgery for me, although I still have the urge problem. I am post menopausal with hysto over 20 years ago. With any surgery there is swelling, and changes that may affect sex. I recommend anyone having fears about sex after surgery, talk to your doctor even though it is embarrassing. It can take months for things to settle down back to normal. There are risks to everything.
I have heard of the risk of tapes protruding into things, like inside the vagina or into the bowel, but a well placed tape should stay there after the body has had time to develop tissue around it. That is what holds the tape in place, as it is not attached to anything, the body forms tissue around it, and it becomes part of the tissue that lives there... kind of like a graft. Since you ride horses, then I would think that you are athletic, and have good body condition, you should fare better with the surgery than someone like me who is more past my athletic prime...to put it nicely. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer on private message. Best of luck...

Snuph
04-20-2006, 12:33 AM
I had a burch sling done 10 years ago laproscopically. It is still working so I hope everyone has the luck that I had. I did have problems for about six months after including a stitch that had to be removed because it pulled through. I also had to have a hysterectomy four months after due to that prolapsing after they pulled up the bladder. Good luck to everyone looking at having a repair.

denise52
04-25-2006, 12:22 AM
I had my op 2 weeks ago. I was told it will take 13 weeks to heal. on a visit to my gp she told me i should only be booked off for two more weeks. Will i be well enough to return to work? Should i revisit the surgeon at the hospital and confirm what my gp says?

denise52
04-25-2006, 12:23 AM
:grouphug:
I had my op 2 weeks ago. I was told it will take 13 weeks to heal. on a visit to my gp she told me i should only be booked off for two more weeks. Will i be well enough to return to work? Should i revisit the surgeon at the hospital and confirm what my gp says?

dhoffer
05-12-2006, 03:01 AM
I had surgery two weeks ago this past weds.I had a Monarch Sling put in. A week ago today I had my check up with the doctor. at that point things seemed ok other than discharge from a yeast infection. Then this past Sunday it all started again. I started to have the urinary drain i had before surgery. now since that day it has gotten worse. If I'm sitting its ok but if I get up and move around the drainage is very heavy. I am back to crying and being depressed. I hate this. So far it seems that the surgery did me no good. I have pain and spasms. I am back to wearing 3 pads at a time. I went back to the doctor yesterday and they took a urine sample and tested to see if I was emptying my bladder all the way. They have told me numerous times during other testing before surgery that I dont empty all the way. I try to but it doesnt work. So I'm missing all this owrk and I cant do anything for weeks for a surgery that didnt seem to do anything. Before surgery I wore tampons most of the time. I would have good days and bad. Right now I hate my body and cry to my husband wondering why I cant have a normal body. I have IC, IBS, Mitral valve prolapse and migraine headaches. Its rare that some part of my body isnt in pain.
was I hoping for too much with this surgery? am I not giving my body enough time? Right now I'm waiting for test results from the doctor on this last urine sample. is there anything else i can do?
Thank you

Katherine
05-15-2006, 09:43 PM
I understand I have had my bladder lifted and then an interstim in and I still wet my self I had a urodynamtic study done by the time they put the water in me out it rolled, less then 10 cc
I do not know what to do because my is muscle and nerve damage from my back.
It drives me crazy too. I care is all I know to say and I pray for you.
Katherine
vkge40@tds.net

blahloss
08-30-2006, 06:07 AM
I had a Monarch sling put in 2 years ago. It has busted and lodged itself in my bladder. I now have holes in my bladder, causing infection and God knows what else. I'm scared that I will lose my bladder and never be able to do the work that I now do. I'm a cook.
It worked well for the time that I had it, but I think more research needs to be done for long term use. I see the Dr. next Tuesday for a cystoscopy.
We will know more then.
This is a scary thing to go through. But at least it has all been physically painless. Pshycologically, I'm not sure what to feel. And I don't know what to offer you other than what I now face.
Good luck...

blahloss
08-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I had a Monarch sling put in 2 years ago. It recently busted and split in half.
Part is in my vagina and the other part went into my bladder. I see a Dr. on
Tuesday September 5th for a cystoscopy. To see what the damage is. Dr. thinks that I have holes in my bladder, and I definately have an infection for which I am currently taking heavy duty anit-biotics for. He knows for sure I'm going to have surgery. He thinks the netting is lodged inside the bladder, and
"will be a very delicate" surgery. He thinks the netting has lodged and compiled itself to the bladder, acting as part of the bladder. There was no pain. It just felt like a baby flipping. I thought I was having hot and cold flashes from Menopause. It's from the infection. I don't know whether or not I
will lose my bladder. Has anyone been through this at all? Dr. said he's never seen anything like it. (Not the first time he's said that) LOL Just 3 months after I had the sling put in, I ended up in emergency surgery for a gangreened
Ovary that had separated from the Falopian Tube, which also gangreened, which was laying on my appendix, which also gangreened. They had to have several surgeons on hand. As I was bleeding internally. My Ovary had exploded 7 months before that. They basically passed it off, cause they couldn't find anything wrong, they said. Needless to say, I almost died. It was not related to the sling in any way. Just wanted you to know. The Ovary exploded in January that year (2004) I was sent home from the emergency room with Morphine 2 times before that. Do I dare let them take their time with me, this time?? The "flip" I felt happened a month and a half ago, if not longer. I just went in to the Dr. last Monday. Only because the urination was bothersome. I still have little or no pain. Should I have? I have Fibromyalgia, so pain is meaneal to me. Any suggestions? Ideas, clues? I'd sure appreciate it.

dhoffer
10-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Well things are not much better than they were before. Things are just like they were before surgery and the doctor has no Idea why. I have been back and forth to the office for tests. They said surgery went perfectly. I have been trying to write down everything I eat, drink or do to try and find some sort of pattern. the only big thing I can see so far is that about 10-14 days after my period the drainage gets heavy. over the last couple months I have noticed that during my period I have leakage. than for up to 10 days or so I have zero to lite leakage. than it gets heavy for the next two weeks til I start again. I asked the doctor about it and he said if its hormonal there isnt anything he can do. I thought thats great. has anyone noticed this same thing? can anyone here give me some answers? thanks

ICNDonna
10-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Mergatoid: I suggest you call your surgeon and ask your question. You should probably be checked to be sure you are okay.

dhoffer: It sounds like you may be having some bladder spasms. Are you having any pain when you are leaking? You might talk with your doctor about trying an antispasmodic for a while to see if it helps.

Donna

sami4a
10-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Hormone fluctuations can aggravate the bladder also. If you are noticing this is cyclic, maybe working with your Gyno to either add some hormones or put you on BC that stops the cycle for a few months and see if it helps?
Sammie

dhoffer
10-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the replys. I do have some pain during the leakage. I take motrin for it. about 3-5 nights a week I go to bed with a microwave heat pad on my stomach. I have also noticed that stress plays a big part in my pain too. I have atually tried some antispasmatic meds before and they didnt work. over the counter stuff worked better for me. I also cant take BC anymore. I found I was getting migraines more often while on them. I go back to the urologist in January. in the mean time I'm going to keep writing down everything to look for patterns. thanks for the info and if anyone has anything else please let me know.
thanks