PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Infections After Sex?

curlygirl
10-18-2004, 04:53 AM
I'm in a new relationship and seem to get bladder infections or bladder infection like symptoms after sex. I take one profolactic antibiotic pill after sex to prevent infrections, but sometimes I get them anyway. NOW everytime after I have sex I feel like I need to run to the MD to find out if I have an infection becasue it feels like I might. The symptoms are bladder pain mostly. The one time I DID have an infection I also had burning when I peed, which I didn't have the other times. I feel like I can't keep running to my MDs office every time I have sex cause I think I might have a UTI. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to discriminate between IC pain and UTI pain and wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Thanks in Advance :bonk:

ICNJess
10-18-2004, 05:10 AM
Hmm...I wish I could help. I notice for me, that when I get a UTI, my urine turns cloudy...the pain all feels the same to me though. Good luck!

tigger_gal
10-18-2004, 05:19 AM
I know when i have a bladder infection, when I am beeing blood and/or its cloudy. I can't tell the difference with pain either...... :(
brat

curlygirl
10-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I called my MD today and she is going to give me a bunch of lab requisitions that way when I am concerned that I have a UTI, I can go into the lab a check. I think it will take some time for me to discriminate between what is normal (that is IC related pain) and when I have a UTI. Or maybe the urine gods will smile on me and make this go away. :lmao:

VickiB
10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
As far as telling my IC symptoms from UTI ones, I've never been able to distinguish one from the other! I used to think I could tell by the severity, but my last full-blown flare was like the worst UTI imaginable! I couldn't believe it when they said "no infection"!

I also get 'bladder infection like' symptoms after sex. I guess my system is to suffer with it,...if it goes away in a reasonable amount of time, I put it in the IC column. If the symptoms remain as strong or intensify after 8 to 10 hours, I go in to get checked for UTI. Needless to say, my system leaves a lot to be desired!

That's neat that you can go to the lab. I wonder if my GP might have some way I could have the test done without having to take up his time for an office visit.

Vicki

curlygirl
10-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Viki. My symptoms don't begin for a couple of days- I feel fine afterward. That's why it's hard. If they last more than 2 days, then I worry. I could see if they lasted 5-7, but I know if I had a UTI and did that to wait it out, I could give myself a serious kidney infection. Are you taking any antidepressents for the pain, have they effected your ability to orgasm at all?

VickiB
10-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Geez, I misunderstood. I thought the symptoms you were experiencing showed up fairly soon after sex. If it's a couple of days then I can sure see where it's a tough call!

Yes, I take antidepressants (amitriptyline, 50mg at night) but have not noticed any effects on orgasm. Thankfully that's one thing IC hasn't screwed up for me!

Vicki

work it
10-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Curly, I think I understand what you are feeling. I feel the same thing after I have had intercourse. I get so nervouse the days to follow becuase I hate having the pain. I have started to take prosed and the OTC azo tabs the morning after intercourse just in case I would have a UTI. I really feel alot better after the AZO tabs I think they work better then the RX of prosed.

carolynyeo
11-14-2004, 04:48 AM
Hi I have the same problem and its ridiculous because every time I go to the hospital I have to wait for five hours for a perscription if it is one and if not I just wasted five hours.
There are the dip sticks you can buy in the pharmacy. I would use those to see. If you really do have a bad infection it will generally show up on the dip stick. The only thing is that they are not completely reliable so even if it doens;t show up you should still go up so they can do a culture.

Dixiefireball
11-14-2004, 05:08 AM
the way i tell a ture uti from a flare is my urine smells really badly urine is dark in color more pain the usual but that can be with a flare to.
there is some home kits i believe you can find in the icn shop or you may be able to pick one up at the drugs store.
i'm not to fond of these kits because they don't pick up all bat.
in urine for an infection.
but just on the safe side for you it doesnt sound like a bad idea.
sending you hugs and prayers
Rhonda

Cricketmk3
11-17-2004, 07:19 AM
A few things you can do that might help:

Empty your bladder immediately after sex.
Drink lots of water before and after.
You said you already take an antibiotic. That's good.
Apply a very warm washcloth to the vaginal area afterwards.
Use lubrication.

anxious one
11-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi there,

I can absolutely relate. I always get infection-type symptoms post sex. I have never had an actual infection but I still worry myself sick about getting one every time we have sex.

My doctor gave me dipsticks to test my own urine which is a huge time and money saver. I can be in excruciating pain but test my urine and it's clear. (Normally I would have run to the dr! :rolleyes: ) Once you know your urine is clear you also stop worrying which in itself can improve symptoms considerably.

I also drink HUGE amounts of water post sex. (And go to the toilet obviously) I also take a cranberry tablet (but I tolerate these many with IC don't) and have a herbal tonic from my naturapth which has herbs to prevent infections. I also brew pearl barley water which is supposed to prevent infections and drink about a litre after sex.

I used to take an antibiotic but found it actually made my symptoms worse.

Finally, one thing I have started doing which has helped ENORMOUSLY is (and I don't want to be graphic) instead of relying on actual sex for stimulation I either let him you know what or I do it for him then when he is"close to the edge" I let him enter me. That way the actual penetration part is not that long!! :rolleyes: I'm certain this lessens the post sex pain and maybe the risk of infection is lower, I hope.

Please please please let this be enought to stop infection!! :pray:

Hugs,

Sarax

Sharon
11-21-2004, 06:46 AM
My doctor said the same thing that Rhonda said. A bladder infection usually causes the urine to have a bad smell. I always thought that cloudy urine ment a bladder infection, but he told me, that isn't a reliable indicator.

Stella1609
11-21-2004, 09:56 AM
I wish I could help you with this one, but I have the same problem!!! I've only had two infections. I found out about the first one when I started passing blood and the second one when I went in to my uro for a scheduled visit (it was a total surprise to me; I just thought I was in a flare).

Good luck finding something that works for you!!!

Myli
11-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Just a quick note, I've taken amitriptyline for many years now to prevent migraines. It has not reduced my ability to orgasm at all. Orgasm really depends on how aroused I am and the brain is really in the drivers seat for orgasm. The only limit IC has put on it is how often I can indulge and how many orgasms in a single session I can let myself have and still come out not too sore.

I am taking 100mg a day btw.

:grouphug:
Myli

theclownster
11-21-2004, 05:37 PM
It sounds like everyone has given good advice. I have a couple ideas that might help.

I agree with drinking lots of water and peeing after sex (my doc also recommends it). Additionally, to prevent infection, I take a quick shower after sex - a hot one which usually helps. Hubby is pretty understanding and will sometimes join me - which is nice.

On other occasions, we start off with a shower together - which makes sure we are both clean (less likely to get an infection) and also can be very romantic and stimulating (foreplay too). Not that he doesn't shower everyday, because he does - it's just been better for me (and him). I still always either wash up afterwards or take a shower and drink lots and lots of water.

I hope this helps.
Jennifer

mayray518
11-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I usually take (if I remember) an antibiotic before sex. I believe it is macrodantin.

Prozan
11-23-2004, 04:15 AM
I always have blood in my urine. Does everyone with IC? Or some of you? :hmm:

rose_thorn98
11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I have same pain and take propylatic antibiotic after sex too. The way I can tell if it is UTI or flare is the severity of pain, but it took me years to be able to tell. Also, my urine smells different when it is a UTI.

I take Elavil 50mg a night and it has not effected my orgasm, infact it allows me to have them because I couldn't have sex at all until I went on Elavil.

jrowley
11-24-2004, 01:00 AM
I always have blood in my urine. Does everyone with IC? Or some of you? :hmm:

I have blood in my urine too that was why i had to have the hydro to begin with. My doc explained that my bladder is rigid, wont stretch like a normal bladder, so when urine fills my bladder i get cuts in it from trying to stretch and it wont. That is where the blood comes from the little cuts inside. He explained it being like when a balloon gets old and you try to blow it up it wont stretch anymore it just cracks.

anxious one
11-24-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't ALWAYS have blood in my urine but almost always when I have my urine checked (when I am flaring) there is blood. It is certainly not abnormal for me. My dr only prescribes antibiotics after the urine is cultured for infection as he says with IC patients blood alone does not indicate infection. :bunny:

Sara

Myli
11-24-2004, 11:50 AM
I rarely have blood in my urine. Usually they find my urine to be very clear, nothing there that shouldn't be there.

:grouphug:
Myli

h808
02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
I called my MD today and she is going to give me a bunch of lab requisitions that way when I am concerned that I have a UTI, I can go into the lab a check. I think it will take some time for me to discriminate between what is normal (that is IC related pain) and when I have a UTI. Or maybe the urine gods will smile on me and make this go away. :lmao:
idk if curlygirl is even on here anymore, but this blast from the past is a great idea. i'm going to ask my uro about calling in a bunch of lab requisitions for me.

Stella1609
02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Wow, some old faces here . . .

I believe this thread was before we had the option of at-home test strips.