IC/BPS Info Center
Welcome to the ICN! You are NOT alone
If you’re like most patients, it has probably taken months or years before you received a diagnosis of interstitial cystitis or bladder pain syndrome. You may have believed, incorrectly, that you were suffering from repeated bladder infections and/or may have taken antibiotics for years with little success. The great news is that IC is real and treatable. The bad news? Many medical care providers are unaware of current research and treatment guidelines.
The most successful patients (or parents of IC patients) are those who are active, informed and involved. Our goal is to educate and empower you with the latest information and resources. Our site will help you understand what IC is, how to work with your medical team, the many treatment options available and, perhaps most importantly, those critical and easy self-help strategies that can done at home each day to reduce symptoms. We’ve built a large self-help area on this website because it works. In fact, the American Urology Association (AUA) specifically encourages patients to explore the many self-help strategies available in Step 1 of their IC Treatment Guidelines
As a support group leader, I’ve noticed that the patients who often struggle are passive. They have no idea what treatments they’ve tried. They refuse to follow the diet, thus causing daily bladder irritation. They’ve never read a book about IC. They don’t track their treatments. They often live in a world of denial. You DO have the power to make change and promote healing of your bladder. Please take a few minutes to read through these materials. Even if you’ve had IC for several years, much has changed about the way we look at IC and its treatment. By the end, you may be more informed than your medical care team and that’s not a bad thing! – Jill Osborne, MA – ICN President & Founder – Revised: June 3, 2013 Created: 1995
Essential Readings & Resources
- IC Optimist Magazine – Your way to stay informed of the latest news. The IC Optimist is dedicated to you, the IC patient. It provides feature stories on IC, the latest news and research, self-help ideas and strategies, new, flavorful recipes and more! Please support our work by becoming an IC Subscriber today!
- Newly Diagnosed Kit – We’ve put together a kit of our favorite recommended IC resources! The best books written on IC to help you understand flares, therapies, self help and diet. Also includes a medical records kit to track your appointments, sample heating pads, and more!
- The Best Books About IC/BPS
- Books about the IC Diet
- Books About Pelvic Floor Dysfunction & Pelvic Pain
- OTC Supplements – Prelief, Azo, Cystoprotek, CystaQ, Desert Harvest Aloe